• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New 2.5L

ancientsanskrit

Hard-core CEG'er
Well, not quite a Contique. It's my mother's new car, a 2003 X-type Sport.

I wasn't too keen on the X-type compared to its competitors, but she loved the car from first sight. For the price, and all the features, it's a pretty nice ride. The car was driven by an older gentleman who loaded up the vehicle w/nearly $8k worth of features. She has DSC, heated seats, black-on-black interior, Xenon, bucket seats, spoiler, rear parking sensors, etc etc. We got nearly $2k off the suggested retail value, plus Jaguar certified extended warranty (nearly a $1500 option). Thus, we are pretty excited.

Interior: Leather bucket seats: These are the most comfortable seats, I've ever sat in. Plus they're heated.
pict1090.jpg

Xenon
pict1174.jpg

17" Aguilla wheels w/the crappy Continental shoes
pict1187.jpg

Just a cool shot
pict1193.jpg

...and to keep it Contour related :cool:
pict1152.jpg

Anywho, it's no speed-demon, but rather a real stable, pampering ride. Compared to the other vehicles we were looking at (TL, G35, 3 series, C230), no one could offer us all those features plus AWD at that cost. Just wished it had a navi system.

Im probably going to buy an x-type in the future. Value for money you just cant beat it.

Plus the 2.5L was given to some Brits and they fiddled around with it to put down 190 horses. THe 3.0L is in the 220. O.O

You can pick up a used one in the range of 10-14K with low miles, and even get one with a stick.

I am super jeaous, its so hard to find the Sport model with the 17's Congrats man, you have gotten nearly exactly what I want.

Last edited:
Im probably going to buy an x-type in the future. Value for money you just cant beat it.

Plus the 2.5L was given to some Brits and they fiddled around with it to put down 190 horses. THe 3.0L is in the 220. O.O

You can pick up a used one in the range of 10-14K with low miles, and even get one with a stick.

I am super jeaous, its so hard to find the Sport model with the 17's Congrats man, you have gotten nearly exactly what I want.

Or you could buy an s60R, and have a lot more fun for the same price.

Umm show me an S60R in the 14k range! :troutslap:

I was just thinking the same thing.

I was like "uhhhh, what?"

Cheapest S60R I can find...$22K
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004...142847191QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item330142847191

Cheapest X-Type I can find... $12.3K (thats not higher miles)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUPE...135117278QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item260135117278

either way I probably would go Jag anyways, for a couple of reasons, cheaper, no need for premium fuel, plus Rolling up in a jag suggests "I know cars" where as rolling up in a volvo suggests "I am a safety freak"

in fact, the other day I was just talking to one of my lady friends :D who was looking at cars for sale and I shower her a volvo S60 and a Jag X-type (as I like both of them) she thought the x-type was WAY "sexier" and suggested that if she had a family and were raising children she would go with the S60.

They both are excellent cars in their class and have a lot to offer, but Id rather pay less and get the same options and go with the jag.

Last edited:
I dont post on here alot but i thought i would chime in on this one. Im a valet at a pretyt nice club in Grand Rapids. we drive these things all the time along with many other jags. I have never driven a car that seems to fall apart with few miles than a jag. the biggest problem I have seen on these x-types is when u put it into park, it wont engage all the way, many of them you have to use the parking brake on an automatic.. Also, we drive 4-5 of them on a regular basis, not one of them has over 40,000 miles on them, and they are ALWAYS in the shop for miscelaneous clunking noises and these are all driven by business professionals who dont do work onthem theirselves, but always do regularly schedule maintenance per the manufactrers guidelines.
They are a nice looking car, dont get me wrong, but i would much rather save up my money and buy a BMW ANYDAY!
just my .02

nice looking car but dont x-types have one of the worst resale values out of any car today? btw personally i think that extra 8k is worth it for the s60r

Bad resale=cheaper to buy. The X type is a close relative of the Ford Mondeo (one series newer than our Contiques). I should try one of those out, one for sale nearby:cool:

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Like I said, I wasn't too keen on the vehicle. I suggested the 3-series, S60, G35, C-class and TL, before the X-type.

It does have its share of problems. However, most of these issues are well-known. Thus, another reason we picked up a certified Jaguar vehicle from the dealership. All TSBs/recalls have been taken care of, plus she has an extra 2 years of extended warranty on nearly everything. Dealership also hooked us up with new brakes and tires.

Like others have mentioned, the resale is pitiful on this thing, which exactly why we picked it up. Luxury for a lot less! Competitors offering same packages as the X-type were nearly $25k. (Nearly 9k more than we payed).

She's nearing retirement, so she wanted a safe, classy ride. Plus, IMO, the thing is pretty sexy! :drool: We weren't really keen on the sport at first, but when we saw how many features it had, we had to pick it up.

Unfortunately, she doesn't know how to drive a manual, plus her commute to work and back is pretty busy.

All said and done, it's a pretty nice ride. The car definitely can handle itself. The stiffer sport suspension is quite pronounced compared to the other X-types, but the engine is a bit sluggish. The thing is quite heavy, but for her needs, it's perfect.

Back