• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Saw a mustang yesterday...

Scottster

CEG'er
This fox body mustang I saw yesterday had somewhat tinted headlight lenses.
The whole car was really clean and sharp. Everything was stock exept for the lights, which were very lightly tinted,

I only saw the car parked as I was driving by, so I didn't get a close look at whether it was a vinyl or spray.

Which leads me to the question, what sort of material is used for this? I couldn't find any tinting spray at Canadian Tire, or on AutoZone's website.

Like I said, it was a very subtle effect, but looked tough. What do you guys think?

they sell slightly lightly lamps for the fox bodys. late model resto

Exactly! Don't use VHT on your headlights! I'm sure Lizard(if he found his way to the new boards) can tell you that it's not a good idea! The tinted lights you saw, come tinted from the company that makes them.

Mark

Hmmm,

Well thanks for straightening this out guys. The VHT spray seems intended to get pretty dark. A freind of mine told me it only lasts a few months before getting hazy and shi**y looking. I figure you could throw a clear coat on top of the spray to prevent that.

As for replacing the entire headlight like the mustang guys can...well I think that topic has been milked out before enough here on CEG.

Which leads me to conclude if I want tinted headlights, there's only dark, or not at all?

I guess I could try doing a really light coat of the VHT spray tint, and then clear coat that. If that goes to crap...well I could just sand the lights down again. I missed a few scratches in them when I did them a few months ago so I wouldn't be at a loss anyway.

The VHT on my TAIL LIGHTS has been on for 2+ years no prob. I did clearcoat them and I do keep them waxed. Anyway, it lasts.

As far as headlights are concerned, I would not use it on them. VHT comes off with paint thinner within a few days of application, but after that it is a ****** to get off (or so Im lead to believe after reading the warning on the can).

VHT does not allow light through, like a tinted glass does. The aftermarket Mustang lights, actually use a tinted glass. It isn't a tint film, or a spray. It's IN THE GLASS. Please don't spray your lights with VHT, because it won't give you the look you're going for.

Mark

VHT does not allow light through, like a tinted glass does. The aftermarket Mustang lights, actually use a tinted glass. It isn't a tint film, or a spray. It's IN THE GLASS. Please don't spray your lights with VHT, because it won't give you the look you're going for.

Mark

OK, I'll pass.

Oh well, just an idea.

Back