• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Borla not lining up for crap. Any tips for those who have it?

teamSVTour

Hard-core CEG'er
So now I have the WR headers, WR Y, Trubendz test pipe w/ hi-flow cat on and I am trying to put on the original Borla catback.

The Borla just is not lining up in the cutouts how I want at all. The driver side sticks about 1/2 to 3/4 inch past flush (which is what I want) but it rubs at the top and upper left of the cutout. The passenger side sits in further and is about flush w/ the bumper. This side is centered in the cutout as far as left and right but it rubs the top of the cutout.

Any tips or tricks to line it up perfect? It only took an hour to remove the old SVT exhaust and put the new up but took me all night to try to tweak it to align it up. Right now to try to align things I have the the two rear mufflers pushed all the way into the "Y" shaped splitter pipe but the other end of the "Y" shaped piece is just barely pushed into the "U" shaped pipe that swings around the driver side and attached to the test. The alignment is still pretty off.

Any suggestions for those that have installed this catback and/or running it?

I only have suggestions for sagging tips which is high strength zip ties. For alignment issues, I'd say remove the exhaust, then heat up the hanger and bang in the direction that would promote ideal movement of the exhaust. so if you want the exhaust to come out some and lower, bang it towards the front of the car, and towards the top of the car. My borla was pretty much perfect when I got it but I think the previous owner (CSVT1214) had a shop tweak it a bit.

I'm up for ideas. Car is still sitting on jack stands since yesturday:laugh: . I'm going to take another look at it again in a bit.

Yeah, my orginal Borla cat-back was not aligned good. The pipes were turning too far outward towards the sides of the car. It was up against the bumper cuts pretty hard.

The shop lined it all up as best as possible, then torched the pipe just past the joint and pulled on the pipes till it was centered.

well after using several different length rubber hangers (different length for driver side vs. passenger) I got the tips to sit centered in the cutouts. The only thing is the driver side tip sticks out of the valance a bit more than the passenger, maybe like 1/2 inch. All in all it looks pretty good! I wanted to save a couple bucks so I just tried doing it myself.

Any of you guys have the same prob w/ one of the tips sticking out further than the other?

Oh and by the way WR Headers + WR Y + flex + Trubendz test w/ high-flow cat + Borla = Pure Sex!!!:drool: The sound is VERY exotic sounding. Sort of Porsche-like but ALOT meaner. Lovin it!

Oh and by the way WR Headers + WR Y + flex + Trubendz test w/ high-flow cat + Borla = Pure Sex!!!:drool: The sound is VERY exotic sounding. Sort of Porsche-like but ALOT meaner. Lovin it!

Okay so when are we all gonna meet up again? I gotta hear this as you pretty much have exactly what I want to do to my car. :drool:

Okay so when are we all gonna meet up again? I gotta hear this as you pretty much have exactly what I want to do to my car. :drool:

edit: well all that + K&N + 75mm ProFlow MAF = sexy time :laugh:

Just drove it for a "spirited" run and man it sounds good. Not overly obnoxious at all just an angry deep purr and absolutely NO rasp or drone!! :drool:. Definitely feel a nice increase on the butt dyno too w/ this complete exhaust swap.

As far as a meet, I'm usually free on the weekends but I do a lot of side jobs on the side so it's kind of last minute as to whether I can make a meet. But I'm always up for meeting some new ppl and seeing the "regulars" :)

Im having the same issue with my new Bassani Cat-Back install! Everything took about 40 minutes to an Hour! Everything sounds good I like the sound of the exhaust this thing is EXTREMELY LOUD! im having position issues. Both sides are tilting towards the inside of the bumper cutout. I cant get them to center out. I was thinking a possible new exhaust hanger rubber piece!

- Amyn

Had an idea - IM SLOW!!!!!

Had an idea - IM SLOW!!!!!

I got mine lined up!

Where the Bassanni turns into a Y to go out to the mufflers, I decided to release the clamps and reposition them(I had them really pushed in since they arent welded to avoid any leakage). I loosened up the clamp pulled the muffler out a bit, checked if the inner piping was still there and there was no hole or anything, tightened the clamps check the back and i gave myself a pat on the shoulder for thinking about my idea.

Minus a little extra repositioning and everything was the way I liked it! YAY

Before Reposition (both tips were leaning inwards[You get the picture])
6-27-07Exhaust050.jpg

After Reposition (both in desired location)
XhaustReposition7-9-07004.jpg

Sorry about the dirty CSVT and the Idiotic mistake!

I got mine lined up!

Where the Bassanni turns into a Y to go out to the mufflers, I decided to release the clamps and reposition them(I had them really pushed in since they arent welded to avoid any leakage). I loosened up the clamp pulled the muffler out a bit, checked if the inner piping was still there and there was no hole or anything, tightened the clamps check the back and i gave myself a pat on the shoulder for thinking about my idea.

Minus a little extra repositioning and everything was the way I liked it! YAY

Looks centered nice but looks like the passenger sticks out a tad more than the driver side. I have the same problem but vise versa. May need to torch the hanger and bend it back some.

my borla never did either, luckily I had it installed at an exhaust shop so they have the pipe cutters and blow torches to cut and bend when needed..STILL is came out no aligned..I guess its how Borla is :shrug:

50791c9d.jpg

I have seen hose clamps placed around exhaust hangers to effect vertical alignment (squeeze the hanger to effectively shorten it) but I don't know if that technique would help in this case.

my borla never did either, luckily I had it installed at an exhaust shop so they have the pipe cutters and blow torches to cut and bend when needed..STILL is came out no aligned..I guess its how Borla is :shrug:

50791c9d.jpg

LOVE these Wheels! :drool: Ordering these same ones in 18's in a week! Hells yeah!

:laugh:

50791c9d.jpg

PURE SEX!!!!!!!!!!! :drool: :shocked: :drool: :shocked: :drool: :laugh:

Back