• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Cooling Fan Problem?

chris281

Be Gentle I'm New Here
Hi guys, I am new to this site. I have a 96 contour with the 2.5l duratech with 168k miles with the auto trans. I have been experiencing a fan problem where my dual fans will not activate at all. The fans are not frozen up. I checked for blown fuses and found nothing. Do you have any suggestions?

there are a few things that control the fan operation... even though the fuse is not blown for the fan or the fan is not locking up u may still have a bad fan motor. try applying power to it and see if it works. if not the fan is obviously bad. If it does work, check the fan control relay. you should have a 4 pins to choose from, 2 should have power at all times and 1 should be grounded at all times, 1 should ground when the fan is activated by the computer. Other things i have seen go bad are the ect sensor which tells the computer how the engine is. it is not the guage temp sender. hope i've been some help.

Try this topic Fans In owner's manual page 113, R2 Black is high, R5 Green is low speed. Its possible the relay is bad or the wiring as well. If the motors on the fan are stiff turning at all, can still fail to work. The low speed trips at M on the temp gauge, or if A/C is turned on.

Back