• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Wiring Problem?

gonzo1615

New CEG'er
Each time i roll my windows up and down, i can hear the affects on the engine. It even knocks the idle rpm down. Tryed doing two windows at one time and that was even worse. I just had the alternator replaced about 7,000 miles ago, but i did notice that it happened before replacement. What could be wrong? Wiring prob.?

Also, i was driving after it had rained one night, and the check engine light just popped on. After i got home ( and out of the foggy area) it went off...weird!

Test the battery and alternator.

Edit. Charge the battery well, then test battery and alternator.

Battery test. Engine off, headlights on for one minute. Voltage across battery terminals should be 12 to 12.5.

Alternator test. Engine running, voltage across battery terminals should be 14 to 14.5.

Last edited:
Every single car I've ever been in has some type of noticable affect (?effect?) from the power windows being used at idle.

Yes... every car that has not been modified will have this same issue.

The reason for the problem is the voltage regulator on the alternator. To remedy the problem you need to give the voltage regulator a new source of voltage. The diagram below will show you what wires to cut and splice. After you perform this modification it should fix the issue. It also isn't just affecting your engine, if you watch your headlights, interior lights, and even the gauges the lights will all dim at the same time you hold the switch down. I posted about this a long time ago on the old forums. Your not the only one to get annoyed with this issue :)

alternator2gn.jpg

Have fun. To access the wiring for the alternator the easiest way is to follow these steps:

1. Jack up and support the car on the passenger side.
2. Remove the passenger side wheel.
3. Remove the splash sheilds in the passenger side wheel well (this will give you access to the crank pulley and alternator)
4. Reach around the alternator and unplug the connector and follow the diagram above.
5. Start at 3 and work back to 1 reversing the process.

Last edited:
thanks for the info. I have the same problem. my lights actually flicker a lot lately while driving normal. What guage wire and what connectors are needed for this fix? Thanks again.

nrayome99tour said:
1999, blue, Contour SE Sport 5spd. (stock for now)
1998, silver, Pontiac Trans Am Auto. K&N, 3.73 rear gears, HP tuners,TCI 3500 converter, Texas speed cam, LCA's:::::For sale $11,000 obo:::::

How can you go from a TA to a Contour SE?? I could never let my F-body go. I mean geez with a 98 TA you can put 302 RWHP to the ground no problems with no bolt ons.

Anyway, to answer your question from what I was told a while back you just cut the wire from the voltage regulator as shown and then crimp the wire under the nut for the battery lead off of the alternator.

Thanks for the info. I have both the contour and the TA currently. I go back and forth on what I want to do with the Trans Am, sell or keep. All i know for sure is i need a turbocharged vehicle.

Thats exactly what I've been thinking. I was going to go the plain WRX route and save some money and then be mad at myself for not just getting the STi. :)

There was a badass modded STi for sale in the St. Paul, MN for $22k. Oh my god was it amazing. It had an upgraded turbo, exhaust, intake, computer upgrade, carbon fiber hood and trunk/spoiler, aftermarket front bumper with a wicked splitter :drool:

Anyway if I had the money my Contour would most likely be gone. I couldn't sell my Camaro though, I never will I have to much blood and sweat in that thing not to mention about $16k.

Back