• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

97 Ford Contour SE v6 2.5 L starting problems

stephangray

New CEG'er
I'm far from an expert when it comes to cars, this site has been great to me as of recent in giving me some insight as to what might be wrong with my car, but I still havent been able to fix it. Been down for about 2 weeks and I'm getting frustrated becasue every time I think I fixed it.... well I didn't.

Ford Contour SE
V6, 2.5 L
about 125K

As a quick summary as to what cause this issue...My AC has not worked in a while, to cut a long story short I ended up over filling the Anti freeze, probably 2 days later my car got extremely over heated (anti freeze steaming and boiling and sounded as if other fluids were boiling, yea bad I know), As I was driving the car cut off, I threw it in neutral and started it back up, but I no longer had power steering. I got it back home strong arming it. We came to the conclusion the belt had slipped off, which it did, I fixed the belt, but when starting the car back up the engine made a squeeling noise and was kinda skipping. We determined the belt was too lose because my tension pulley was bad. After replacing that, now the car will not start at all. It will revs up but wont turn over(dont know if thats correct terms, but it revs up and wont start). We put everything back together the way it was carefully, why it started at first but not now. The fuel pump is working, my car has a timing chain so its not likely broke I don't think. I've been told its probably a timing issue, possibly the timing guides might be worn down?

basically I'm having trouble figuring out what the problem is, and when I know what it is, how would I go about fixing it (being not so car great and all)

any help would be GREATLY appreciated

Last edited:
....After replacing that, now the car will not start at all. It will revs up but wont turn over(dont know if thats correct terms, but it revs up and wont start). ...

Welcome. 1) The car could have overheated because the Water Pump broke. 2) The not starting now could be due to the Crankshaft Position Sensor or Camshaft Position Sensor or its wiring or connectors. You may have bumped it out when you were changing the serpentine belt. Try checking those first.

Autozonelink. Crankshaft Position Sensor
http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1b/c4/47/0900823d801bc447/repairInfoPages.htm

Camshaft Position Sensor
http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1b/cb/7c/0900823d801bcb7c/repairInfoPages.htm

Water pump is over at the drivers side. Has it ever been changed before?
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=9480

....After replacing that, now the car will not start at all. It will revs up but wont turn over(dont know if thats correct terms, but it revs up and wont start). ...
It cranks (the engine turns over) but it will not start.

Last edited:
Welcome. 1) The car could have overheated because the Water Pump broke. 2) The not starting now could be due to the Crankshaft Position Sensor or Camshaft Position Sensor or its wiring or connectors. You may have bumped it out when you were changing the serpentine belt. Try checking those first.

Autozonelink. Crankshaft Position Sensor
http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1b/c4/47/0900823d801bc447/repairInfoPages.htm

Camshaft Position Sensor
http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1b/cb/7c/0900823d801bcb7c/repairInfoPages.htm

Water pump is over at the drivers side. Has it ever been changed before?
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=9480

It cranks (the engine turns over) but it will not start.
also if i place my hand over the exhaust, when tryin to start the car, it almost feels like a suction

No the water pump has never been changed. Thanks for the info, I'm gonna try and look at these tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
also if i place my hand over the exhaust, when tryin to start the car, it almost feels like a suction

No the water pump has never been changed. Thanks for the info, I'm gonna try and look at these tomorrow morning.

Water pump should be changed probably. Ford used a crappy White plastic on the impeller it tended to shatter. Napa has an inexpensive metal impeller water pump. I cant remember the price but its worth its weight in gold.

As for the non starting issue, im probably going to have to agree with the crank position sensor.

Well I am about to try to look at what was mentioned, I read and took notes from the given links. Hopefully this will help something, and I plan on checking the water pump as well.

I do know the water pump belt is off, I saw it and it was still on, but it was mangled and stringy, so I took it off... atleast I think it was the water pump belt

some random pictures, im pretty sure I see the water pump in this first pic, but I'm not sure.

also im tryin to find the Cram and crank shaft position sensors, can someone kinda point me in the direction of where I should be looking before I start taking stuff apart, I did read those links, but im still a little unsure. And I know the pictures arent great, I can try to get some better ones.

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

ok...I've found out the problem, and it seems to be an even worse scenario.

Apparently its the Engine wire harness, which there was a recall on, which extended the warranty to 10 years 100k, which in my case is just a little too late.

BUT my question is...dont I have to be notified of this recall, and if I never was, do they still have to fix it? I never was notified of this recall. I'm kinda hoping to find a loop hole in this becuase I was told only the dealership can fix this.

Maybe it is possible to repair the harness. Maybe someone else here knows if that wiring harness is a recall (where Ford should tell you by law) or a Technical Service Bulletin which is not. Did you find the waterpump was in pieces?

It's an extended warranty and it expires at 100K or 10 yr. No notification required. I've had good success with using liquid electrical tape and just treating areas as required. If you try looking for bad areas you will just create more problems.

Back