• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Fog when turning on heat...

zorrex

Enjoys the Abuse
Ok, so I had one of those rainy days the other day and I had to turn my defroster off to get rid of the fog. The only problem is that my windshield fogs COMPLETELY before it starts to go away. There is an obvious moisture buildup. I did some searching and have deduced it is either the heater core or the drain plugs. My A/C works fine and nearly literally blows ice cubes. (Defroster uses A/C ;)) If anyone could put in there $.02 on what's wrong and how to fix it I'd greatly appreciate it. I wouldn't want to starting fiddling with stuff and break something. That happens to me too often with lots of things :cool:.

If it's the heater core, the "fog" will likely consist of coolant, which you can smell and smear around on the windshield. Check out those drains first.
Karl

Is your A/C working? When you put it on defrost, the A/C also comes on to assist in drying out the air. If the A/C is not working, it takes a little longer for the air to dry out.

My A/C works fine and nearly literally blows ice cubes.

Is your A/C working?

Yes, Tony, it's working :). LOL I couldn't resist, sorry :p.

Anyways, I hate to sound dumb, but where are these drain plugs that I would need to take a look at? I've never really heard of this problem before:shrug: lol. Is there an Autozone repair guide page to check it out at? I tried looking but I failed to find anything on it... :(

Yeah I noticed that after I posted but after some thought there's no way it's my heater core. I mean, my A/C works, it doesn't smell like coolant (it smells a BIT odd but nothing bad), and it clears up immediately after it fogs over. I just need to know where the drain plugs are :cool:. This is gonna be my second fix in the past week, I'm so proud of myself, seeing as I've never been a knowledgeable car guy or anything :p

...and it clears up immediately after it fogs over....
There is nothing wrong with it!

It is probably due to the high humidity these few days. Mine has been doing that since Day 1. Well, maybe not Day 1. ;)

There is nothing wrong with it!

It is probably due to the high humidity these few days. Mine has been doing that since Day 1. Well, maybe not Day 1. ;)

Ok let me be more specific. My windshield starts getting foggy. I turn up the heat all the way and rip the defroster, woooo. The fog gets WICKED bad and nearly takes up my entire windshield, and five seconds (longer than you think) later it starts to clear from bottom up, taking between 5-15 seconds to completely clear. That's a long time when driving 65 mph on the highway and you can't see jack $h!t. :)

Ok let me be more specific. My windshield starts getting foggy. I turn up the heat all the way and rip the defroster, woooo. The fog gets WICKED bad and nearly takes up my entire windshield, and five seconds (longer than you think) later it starts to clear from bottom up, taking between 5-15 seconds to completely clear. That's a long time when driving 65 mph on the highway and you can't see jack $h!t. :)
5 seconds is fine. I would be concerned with 15 seconds. Next time slow down if this happens again. ;) Cheap and easy solution. :D

You mentioned a funny smell. How about that cabin filter? What's its status?
Karl

Lol, no idea! *sigh* I'm getting the feeling this is going to be a bit more complicated than I thought? I thought it was gonna be like taking candy from a baby...:shrug:

Back