• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

will my 3.0 be fine untuned?

A bit late here.
x10 also.
Not having a tune will rob you 10% power at the least.
Will rob you half your MPG as well!
Can you run it; Yes.
Should you run it. Heck no!

s2Knott will be running a Hybrid, still have all the secondaries, etc... in his SVT Contour....There are quite a few people running hybrids, 3L, whatever without a tune, and he just needs the car running to get to the school he will be attneding very shortly...I explained that it is a very Good idea to get the tune, but wasn't necessary at the moment to get him up and running. His current stock svt engine spun a bearing and he needs the car running.

well put, im looking for reliability and when i can steal the cash from someone ill definetly get a tune.

A bit late here.
x10 also.
Not having a tune will rob you 10% power at the least.
Will rob you half your MPG as well!
Can you run it; Yes.
Should you run it. Heck no!

So tuning my car will net my 50 mpg!?!?!?! :shocked:

I was in the same position as the guy who made this thread, I needed a DD, was in school, and couldn't afford a tune. Now I'm out of school, lazy, and want to add more speed parts before I get a tune - almost there...

So tuning my car will net my 50 mpg!?!?!?! :shocked:

I was in the same position as the guy who made this thread, I needed a DD, was in school, and couldn't afford a tune. Now I'm out of school, lazy, and want to add more speed parts before I get a tune - almost there...

Maybe it will you never know. :laugh:

You gas mileage at closed loop throttle positions is still monitored by an O2 sensor so if you drive like a grandma your mileage probably won't be THAT bad.

But who drives like that.. how boring.

I always go by WFO mileage, not granny driving... to which im getting horrible mileage :laugh:

Man, I was getting awesome gas mileage, even before I had the 3L tuned! I know I've heard the 2000 SVT's had a better computer to start with, which adjusted more for a/f mixtures. I didn't pickup a lot on gas mileage with my tune, but I did pickup about 10HP and 5TQ, so my factory tune must have been pretty good! I think I was getting around 23mpg city with a lot of redline driving, and around 30mpg on the highway.

Mark

Yeah, I dont beat on my car much, I like the MPG I get. I drive over 100mi a day to work and back, so shifting at 3K it is.. Although, that doesn't mean the redline is never met...

slight change in plans, its going to be a hybrid 3L, does that change anything would i still ok to drive without a tuner, ive got guys saying that i shouldnt even drive it without a tuner.

in my car on weekago on sunday the engine lost a wrist pin on the #2 cylinder, busted a hole in the block. i need an engine too. i heard of people using the 3L block and the 2.5 heads, yea it ups the compression but it will still work. all i need to know is what computer do i use and yes i know the 2.5 heads dont drain oil back to the crankcase as fast but i never had an issue with it. oh and the 2.5 heads will still work right??

slight change in plans, its going to be a hybrid 3L, does that change anything would i still ok to drive without a tuner, ive got guys saying that i shouldnt even drive it without a tuner.

Do you even bother to read your own thread man? The guy building your motor already said you were getting a hybrid.... we know. Additionally did you do ANY searching on the old forums? all the info you've asked recently is located either in the new or the old forums. We all like to help, but we cant keep regurgitating the same information

Hey, Greg helped me install my hybrid 3L motor. It's a 3L block with 2.5 heads and intake set up. I'm currently running with SE parts. The cams, injectors and manifolds are all SE stock and it runs fine. The only mod so far is an SVT stock CAT back exhaust. I do have another set of injectors that I'm going to try installing. The main thing is that I HAVE NOT had any type of tuning done. I do have that planned for the near future though, as $ become available for it. Just get the the car to Greg and get it done. The sooner he gets it the sooner you'll get it back.

Hey, Greg helped me install my hybrid 3L motor. It's a 3L block with 2.5 heads and intake set up. I'm currently running with SE parts. The cams, injectors and manifolds are all SE stock and it runs fine. The only mod so far is an SVT stock CAT back exhaust. I do have another set of injectors that I'm going to try installing. The main thing is that I HAVE NOT had any type of tuning done. I do have that planned for the near future though, as $ become available for it. Just get the the car to Greg and get it done. The sooner he gets it the sooner you'll get it back.

dyno! dyno! dyno!

thats the answer i was looking for!

thats the answer i was looking for!

funny that is what your engine builder already told you ... and I know because I talked to him about it and helped out with ctmystiques build ... let alone the fact that csvt1214 has been driving a untuned hybrid for like 2 to 3 years now ...

s2Knott will be running a Hybrid, still have all the secondaries, etc... in his SVT Contour....There are quite a few people running hybrids, 3L, whatever without a tune, and he just needs the car running to get to the school he will be attneding very shortly...I explained that it is a very Good idea to get the tune, but wasn't necessary at the moment to get him up and running. His current stock svt engine spun a bearing and he needs the car running.

i know he told me i just want to here other people say it, only because some have told me that i must get a tune... but im confident now it will be ok.

Back