• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Loss of Power: Video attached! ERR: PS190

thegadget

CEG'er
NOTE: This problem is fixed. It turned out to be the fuel pump screens. I took them out, cleaned the tank, flushed the fuel basket with carb cleaner, removed (lots) all kinds of sand/rubber/foreign materials, and then replaced the original pump back in the tank. (I cut the screen off the sock at the end with a dremel, and still used the side suction peice so it wouldn't be sucking off the bottom.)

For those wondering some part #s: Ford's new and improved pump assembly is: XS2Z9H307CA
They will try to get $283.83 + Tax. I found a local group here selling it for $242~ genuine Motorcraft.
The local company here is called A Line Auto Parts. They did have it in stock, too.

I went to ford and picked up a filler gasket (Number on the gasket: 97BB-9072-BA, doesn't reference any Ford part I will try to get it for you later). If you are planning on doing this proceedure, make sure to get one of these. Usually they will crack when you pull the tank off. Since this tank is pressurized, that crack could start the problem off all over again. If you get the Motorcraft version of the pump assembly, it is included. O'reilly's doesn't included it, and you better hope Ford has it in stock.

The car is now a beast and on its best behavior. I have to admit the car is close to the performance of the BMW 328i I have. The only difference is that the rear wheel drive is much more fun to burnout in. Hehe...
CAR: 2000 SVT Coutour/2.5 Duratec/96k/MTX
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLsfxLvuAH4
Hello everyone. I have an interesting situation. I have a random loss of power at low rpms sometimes, and also at high rpms. It is really weird, sometimes it works, and some times not. .
  • Ok, this car had been sitting a while (3 years). So I assumed that there was water in the tank. I got the HEET treatment. It seemed like the car ran much better.
  • I replaced the Oil with full synthetic 5W30 (WHAT A BOOGER TO GET THAT OIL PLUG OUT!! 15mm and terrible clearance! Only got 5 quarts..had to pick up another later.. and also replaced the air filter.)
  • I also had less than a quarter of a tank of fuel, so I filled her up with 93 Oct. and put in 15 OZ of B12 to clean up the injectors.
  • After this, the car started running worse. So...
  • The second instinct was the fuel filter. Strange enough, the filter looked new and I didn't even notice any contaminates in it. I replaced it anyway. I thought that would fix the problem.
  • Strange enough it seemed to work for a short while after this.
  • BUT... Now I can floor the car in second gear, and at 4,500rpms it is no longer pulling at all. As long as I stay under 3k rpm I am ok to shift etc.
  • As I was going to church on Sunday, The CEL lit up. I was actually happy! I went to O'Reilly and they actually gave the OBD tester to me.. weird huh? I ran the diag, and the PS190 code showed up. And that was the only code. Low fuel pressure sensor.
  • Another thing is the sound of the exhaust. Some times it roars... sometimes it sounds like a hamster runner. I checked the IRMC? and it seems a little tough to move by hand (it is hard to get your hand into that spot..wow..) It is sticky at first and then moves freely after the starting point. I noticed a rub mark from the cable going to the module and it had rubbed clean through the insulation of the green/red wire. I moved the wire so it wouldn't rub against the engine pull bracket and re-taped it.
I have been looking through the forums, and there are so many solutions to this issue. Can someone tell me were to start?
  1. Some say fuel pump... (could be the screen?)
  2. Some say water/carbon build up on the spark plugs...
  3. Others say IMRC is bad...
  4. And yet others mention that the intake system needs to be cleaned.
  5. And others have a very arguementive attitude about everything, even grandmothers.
I thought the purpose of designing this car was to compete with BMWs? Do all contours have these issues? I sure read about a lot them. Thanks for your time and consideration~! Have a great day!
Josh

Last edited:
Drive to Autozone or Advance. Get the codes read (free) and post the exact codes here.

Most BMWs don't sit for 3 years.

The codes...

The codes...

Actually it isn't throwing any codes. I used the reader, and the low fuel pressure code is all I got (only got that code after about 1 hour of driving). I am going to try to get the fuel tank off and replace the pump. (maybe with a walbro) something powerful . :idea:

Fuel Tank...

Fuel Tank...

Well, it seems there is quite an argument on the fuel pump access. The 2000 has a returnless system. And the pump housing is quite a bit larger. You have to either cut it out, or drop the tank. I would rather not drop the tank, but I don't like cutting the body. So it is dropping the tank. The control panel Idea was cool, but I am not sure how he did it. Anyway. Thanks for your help.

Dur..uh...tech.. Fun! Rats..

Dur..uh...tech.. Fun! Rats..

Ok, here is the update.

Replaced the spark plugs today. No water build up. There was some rust (very small amount around the base above the conical v) and the spark plugs looked like they had a brownish build up. Thankfully there was no oil build up on any of them! Yeah... After a very tough #2 plug cable (Grrrr..), I finally put new autolite Iridium plugs in gapped at .056. Still have the bucking at 3700+rpm. I am going to try the fuel pressure at the valve next. Aright.. til..next time...

Last edited:
IMRC test

IMRC test

Finally found out how to test the IMRC. Just run the rpms to 3800+ and it works or doesn't. Anyway, it does work, even at full engine temp.

So that is not my problem. Rats. Well, I am having a tough time finding a fuel pressure guage to borrow. Every place has it, but wants to charge an arm and a leg for it. I am also having a hard time finding the fuel pump. Nobody has it, and it is usually $92 min for a returnless and it will take a while to order it. Well, I know the pump must work, it does at a higher tank level even at high revs. I ran it once (after I replaced the fuel filter) and it chirped in second. But no luck now, and I have finally run down to 1/4 a tank. And it is still bucking something terrible.

Last edited:
O'reilly.. yay

O'reilly.. yay

Oh, the keyless entry remotes came in yesterday, they work great! Extremely easy to program the FOBs!

Called O'reilly this morning and ordered the fuel pump: E2390 ($92.99)

Also found out they can also get just the strainer/sock for $13.99 (they have to cross reference FS0096). So thats the next step. It will be in tommorow. Let u guys know what happens.

Getting new ZR tires/alignment today. Finally getting the spare/3 mismatched tires off!

Cat... hrm..

Cat... hrm..

Ok, there is a how to on that. I will try to check it. THanks!

OH man!!

OH man!!

I am in the middle of removing the gas tank. I cannot for the life of me get those two top return lines off!!! Any tips?

Thanks!
Josh

No.. not those..

No.. not those..

The ones just behind the tank, going to the filler/vent....

For those of you following along...

For those of you following along...

I finally got the top fittings off... contortionist anyone..??

Well, here are the pics... WOW.. the pump has been replaced before.. and you will not believe this!!!

Dirt and grime everywhere!! man! Even sand in the bottom of the tank!! Strange enough, I am happy I dropped the tank. I am in the process of cleaning everything out! No wonder!!

Attachments

• Fuel Pump 002.jpg
    Fuel Pump 002.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Fuel Pump 003.jpg
    Fuel Pump 003.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Fuel Pump 004.jpg
    Fuel Pump 004.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 0
Fuel Pump.. replacement..

Fuel Pump.. replacement..

Hey guys, this fuel pump from O'reilly's is too tall, and the filter is the wrong one. They gave me the L filter. I can jam it in there, but it is horrible!!! I believe it will be worse than the other one because of the amount of squish! Any Ideas? Thanks for following along!

Hrm...

Hrm...

I read on here a guy bought the fuel pump assembly from O'rielly's or Autozone for $100. The entire basket an all. So I assumed that it included it. NOT!!!

To Ford Stealership!! Yay... UNLESS... Somebody knows of an aftermarket that fits perfectly... Please!? How much more can this car cost me? So much for getting out of debt with this one. Sigh....

Leave the screen/sock out when you reinstall the pump. Your regular extenal fuel filter (below the passenger rear door) is good enough.

Really?

Really?

Does it mess up the pump? Is this what you are doing? It just might work..
I have looked everywhere, and only have found one place with the tank assembly, $241!!!

I bought the "Too Tall" pump at oreilly's for $97. Has anyone used the original back in the tank without the filters?
Should I still replace the pump?

Last edited:
The old pump is probably bad now. Most of the time, the screen/sock is what causes it to go bad (work harder than necessary). So leave the screen/sock out when you install the new pump

Back