• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

just bought a csvt what know?

NickNick

CEG'er
whats up guys. I just bought 99 svt. Everything is stock. it has 82,000 miles on it and i just want to know what i should do to make it go another 82,000 miles, figularly speaking of course. here are the things i will be doing asap.

Change the tranny oil to royal purple
replace water impellor
oil seporater
change oil of course
a/c accumulator (or at least fix that plastic piece that i heard breaks or what not ).
Intall ram intake.
spark plugs/wires
additions or sugesstions???

what else should i do first before i add the fun stuff. Im not gonna do brakes/suspension/engine/tranny till i get it paid off.

Welcome!:)

Use Autolite double platinum spark plugs. Keep the coolant an inch above the MAX line, the car is funky and likes a bit more or the coolant light will come on. Unless you go with the upgraded oil pan use 6 to 6 1/2 quarts of oil. I run 6 in mine.
Also, check the condition of the belt and tensioner and change if necessary.
Here is a link that you should check out, if you haven't already: http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=41
Christine

Last edited:
you shouldnt have to worry too much about making it another 80k +...mines got 140k right now with minimal problems along the way and still going strong

whats up guys. I just bought 99 svt. Everything is stock. it has 82,000 miles on it and i just want to know what i should do to make it go another 82,000 miles, figularly speaking of course. here are the things i will be doing asap.

Change the tranny oil to royal purple
replace water impellor
oil seporater
change oil of course
a/c accumulator (or at least fix that plastic piece that i heard breaks or what not ).
Intall ram intake.
spark plugs/wires
additions or sugesstions???

what else should i do first before i add the fun stuff. Im not gonna do brakes/suspension/engine/tranny till i get it paid off.

Sell it and buy a car that is a little bit less problematic. Mine has given me nothing but headaches.

If I were you I'd seriously concider an oil pressure gague and an oil accumulator. The oiling systems on these cars are crap tastic. High oil pressure was the demise of my 2.5 and blew the filter off. Low oil pressure almost destroyed my 3L saturday (look for my post in the 3L forum). I had to have my car towed in this morning because it would not crank. This is only about the 4th time it's been towed! With that being said they are not that dependable and are a ***** to work on. Parts are expensive as well. In the last 20K miles I've replaced the engine, rebuilt the trans, put on an alternator, the DPFE sensor was shorted and caused a no CRANK condition, put on battery cables, removed the broken shift tower bolt. Oh and tonight I will rebuild the starter because it is on it's last leg.

Last edited:
:rolleyes: Not to minimize your problems, but for every person such as yourself, there are dozens that have no problems beyond typical wear and tear.

I would suggest NOT changing your MTX fluid to Royal Purple. Stick with the Ford "Honey". Which ever way you go, do NOT use ATX fluid in your MTX!!!

With the possible exception of the metal impeller water pump, everything else listed is really a personal preference type of mod/fix. If you treat her right, she'll do the same to you. Enjoy your SVT and post up some pics.

Sell it and buy a car that is a little bit less problematic. Mine has given me nothing but headaches.

If I were you I'd seriously concider an oil pressure gague and an oil accumulator. The oiling systems on these cars are crap tastic. High oil pressure was the demise of my 2.5 and blew the filter off. Low oil pressure almost destroyed my 3L saturday (look for my post in the 3L forum). I had to have my car towed in this morning because it would not crank. This is only about the 4th time it's been towed! With that being said they are not that dependable and are a ***** to work on. Parts are expensive as well. In the last 20K miles I've replaced the engine, rebuilt the trans, put on an alternator, the DPFE sensor was shorted and caused a no CRANK condition, put on battery cables, removed the broken shift tower bolt. Oh and tonight I will rebuild the starter because it is on it's last leg.

I'm sorry you are having a bad time with your car. Unfortunatly, you have these kinds of things with every make vehicle, some good/some bad.

If you haven't seen this, it is a discussion on the experiences that people have had with their SVT's/V6's. http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=1241

Yep, do post a picture of your new ride.

well the car runs like a champ, not a single problem what so ever, what i was trying to do is do some preventative maintanience. i spent about a month trying to get this car.
i paid 6,500 for it form a guy in california and i live in az. some people say i paid to much but i really wanted a svt contour and there are no good ones for sale in arizona.
and thx everybody for the tips.
ill post some pics by tomorrow.

well the car runs like a champ, not a single problem what so ever, what i was trying to do is do some preventative maintanience. i
ill post some pics by tomorrow.

Terrific, glad to hear it runs good. :cool:
Preventive maintenance is the way to go, keep up on that and you will hopefully have many good driving years ahead of you.
Looking forward to the pictures. :)

i might say u did pay a little too much, considering i got mine with 76000 miles for 4,500. BUT...its a great car and if u think its worth it, then it definately is!

Enjoy and don't kill yourself!

I'm sorry you are having a bad time with your car. Unfortunatly, you have these kinds of things with every make vehicle, some good/some bad.

If you haven't seen this, it is a discussion on the experiences that people have had with their SVT's/V6's. http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=1241

Interesting thread. I will have to reply to it. But I'll really have to think hard of EVERYTHING I've done to it.

I thought it was interesting also and didn't remember seeing you post there. I also thought it would be good for Nick to see, give him some insight on what others have been through with their V6's.

Again, I am sorry that you are having so much trouble and hope things get straightened out.

I paid 6900 hundred for mine with 86k on the clock last year, so I think you did alright. Well actually, I think I got screwed, but I did buy from a dealer. It was definately still worth it though.

I thought it was interesting also and didn't remember seeing you post there. I also thought it would be good for Nick to see, give him some insight on what others have been through with their V6's.

Again, I am sorry that you are having so much trouble and hope things get straightened out.

hmmm alot of people have alot of simular problems, thanks for that link, that will give me a good start on what i should replace eventually.

here are the pics.

002 at work with my girl.
009 after doing some detailing.
011 next to a native air helicopter it makes a cool backround, thats if you like helicopters and contours. :p if you want the big version let me know.
020/022 random shots.

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 009.jpg
    Picture 009.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 011.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 020.jpg