• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

timing again?

xdetroitx

CEG'er
tryin to fix bro inlaws contour. 99 zetec dohc 116k miles. timing belt was replaced in december 06 and just died again. timing belt looks good . getting fuel getting spark not getting any compresion . any ideas?

If you have a fuel injector issue, you may have "washed" out the compression. Try starting the car with the gas pedal all the way down. If that doesn't work, you may need to pull on or two spark plugs and put a teaspoon (or two) of oil in each of the cylinders. Then reinstall sp and try again.

will try that tomorrow . he said he was driving down side street when it started to lose power and stalled. it started back up but he had to floor it just to get goin and it was barely movin. stalled again and never started back up

will try that tomorrow . he said he was driving down side street when it started to lose power and stalled. it started back up but he had to floor it just to get goin and it was barely movin. stalled again and never started back up
The CEL must be on. Scan it and post the codes.

p1381 and p1383 obd II says ignition malfunction or possible missfire. the timing belt was replaced early january 07 belt looks frayed at front edge and is at the very front of the gears. so new timing belt? and what else should be replaced?

If it is frayed a the side, you may want to consider changing the pulley and tensioner. Either of those two items could be causing the belt not to seat properly.

Your timing is off. All the codes deal with the VCT solenoid. If you do not get the timing set perfect, you will get those codes. Get the whole timing kit with belts and idlers and tensioner. Make sure you get the timing kit that alligns your cams and the crank pin so you know you are exactly at TDC. The timing kit is about $25. It is well worth it. Make sure you leave your cam sprockets loose when setting tensioner. I can't stress that enough. Here is a link that explains those codes. http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/july2002/techtips.htm

camshafts are not aligned with each other one needs atleast 1/8 turn to align with other. when i align the crankshaft notch with oil pan notch the slots in the camshaft arent even close to horizontal to insert camshaft alignment tool. haynes manual doesnt say anything about what to do if timing is off that much.

Last edited:
also when i turn the crankshaft the cam on the intake side turns smooth and the cam on the exhaust side is a bit jumpy . spark plugs are out btw

The Haynes manuel I have deals with the pre 1998 zetecs. Its not much use. If you will PM me your email I will send you some good instructions. Do you have the crank pin? I wouldn't trust the marks. You need to make sure you are exactly at TDC. When you know you are exactly at TDC with the cam sprockets loose, you can turn the cams till you can get the camshaft tool in. There are places on the cams where you can use a wrench to turn them. Again make sure your cams sprockets are loose when you set the tensioner.

Back