• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

KKM Adapter Diamter

BCSVT

CEG'er
I want to start by saying, I have searched extensively for this both here and in the old forums. I found that the RU-3530 will fit onto the KKM adapter. That is not my intended question. Also, I would go outside and measure, but I do not have my car here with me... With that said:

Does anyone know the diamter of the KKM MAF adapter? I know the adapter on the SP Motorsports website had an outside diamter of 3.58", which is why the ID on the RU-3530 of 3.75" works on it. I've also recently read that SSD4U.com has MAF Adapters that mate perfectly to an RU-3530 (don't know if these mate well to our MAF though... haven't read anything directly confirming this. I'm curious if their MAF adapter has a diamter of 3.75" if this is the case). I have yet to find any post or discussion listing the diamter of the KKM. I have read suggestions that it is 3" in diamter, but nothing concrete has been said. I'm worried about flow characteristics at this point. Would the KKM adapter decrease air flow and/or not mate AS WELL AS OTHER ADAPTERS to the RU-3530. If anyone has any technical knowledge on this subject, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

David

David, I dont think you're going to encounter that much of an issue with the flow between adaptors. because they all have to end up the same size (maf size)

Although... some can be properly sized and some can be a restriction.

Here are some dimensions for you to ponder on...

OEM MAF entrance ID: 84mm
GMS/Pro-M (73mm MAF) entrance ID: 85.680mm
BAT MAF adapter ID: 78.6mm
BAT MAF adapter OD: 84.94mm

So at least for the BAT (SP Motorsports) MAF adapter, the ID *should* be what the OD is. I don't consider a 5.4mm difference to be negligible. I've P&P'd mine and removed almost 1/2 of the material throughout and knifed the entrance for the filter... but that only opened it up to 80.3mm. Even with that, the adapter is still 4mm too small.

I've contacted Mirko about their dimensions and they said they'll be emailing me the specs. I also contacted KKM and was told "unlike the BAT adapter, ours is properly sized", but was not given any #'s. The KKM is also advertised to work with that Pro-M/GMS MAF.

After posting several requests in the prior forums for the BAT specs... and everyone always said that it fits and I should just get it... I finally gave in and got it. Upon assembly, the ID differences were definetly noticable. I've measured everything from the head ports to the MAF adapter... so I knew what size was needed, but no one was willing to put up any numbers. I'd rather be informed than just be a sheep.

Thanks morbid. This is exactly what I'm looking for... a technical analysis of these adapters so everyone out there can make their own informed choice on the purchase, instead of just being told to get one over the other. Hopefull this materializes into something good.

Right! It would be cool if the meassurements of these 3 adapters could be included in the duratec performance faq.

Just to clarify my initial post... the BAT MAF adapter is about 1.25" long and is constantly smaller than the airfilter and MAF entrance. The air will be going from the large air filter opening... down to the small adapter... back to the big MAF entrance. The MAF is sloped inside when it reduces the ID and will most likely build velocity instead of being much of a restriction. The BAT adapter is a constant restriction and I doubt the air will gain much velocity. The Mirko appears (from their pictures) to be a better design with it's knifed entrance and gradual inward slope towards the exit. I'm unsure about the KKM one.

If a Pro-M/GMS MAF is being used, the BAT adapter should not even be an option. Though, this is just my opinion and everyone should decide this for themselves... but check out the specs below.

Here are some more measurements. MAF entrance -> center (not including sampling tube/horn)-> exit

OEM: 84.000 / 73.060 / 76.500
GMS: 85.680 / 85.210 / 76.010

Edit: I just remembered. In searching for specs, I came across a Focus site that had technical comparisons of about 7 adapters. This included material used, ID, OD, if entrance was knifed and sloped, and some other stuff. It was very informative... and their ID's ranged by almost 10mm!!

Last edited:
hey.... your sig says you have a kkm intake. Doesn't that include the maf adapter?

I sent a reminder email to Mirko yesterday... hopefully I'll have their measurements soon.

hey.... your sig says you have a kkm intake. Doesn't that include the maf adapter?

I sent a reminder email to Mirko yesterday... hopefully I'll have their measurements soon.
I do have the kkm adapter. My car is at home right now, but if I don't get measurements before I go home, I will try to measure it there.

Ah... I reread your initial post. I forgot you were away from your car.

This is the page that I was talking about with MAF adapter comparisons. Even though they're for zx2's... you can see that they all very quite a bit.
http://www.zx2racing.com/shootout/specs/spec pages/MAF adapters.htm

I also received a reply from Mirko saying he's been sick but will try to get the measurements today/tomorrow.

I'm still surprised that no one else has a kkm adapter that they're willing to measure.

I've been waiting for someone to chime in and say that it doesn't matter, but I'm seeing the MAF adapter as a large restriction, maybe even more so than the throttle body (which, if I recall correctly, is the most restrictive part of our intake system?).

ok... I received the email from Albert Mirko. I'll list it with the BAT one and hopefully be able to add in the missing KKM adapter details.

BTW, I feel pretty dumb, now that I know the differences, for jumping on the BAT/SP bandwagon as per everyones suggestions. I'll probably end up getting the Mirko.. but would still like to at least have the KKM info here to make this list complete for everyone else.

contour_maf_adapter.jpg

Manufacturer: BAT
Material: aluminum
Filter "barb": no
Filter-side taper: no
ID (Entrance): 78.60mm
ID (Exit): 78.60mm
OD: 85.00mm

SVTpart1_sm.jpg

Manufacturer: Mirko Racing
Material: aluminum (annodized red/blue, or plain)
Filter "barb": yes
Filter-side taper: yes
ID (Entrance): 90.410mm
ID (Exit): 83.720mm
OD: 91.580mm (not including barb)

kkmmaf.gif

Manufacturer: KKM
Material: aluminum
Filter "barb": ?
Filter-side taper: ?
ID (Entrance): ?
ID (Exit): ?
OD: ?

adapter3.jpg

Manufacturer: Spectre Performance (model 8145)
Material: Aluminum
Filter "barb": yes
Filter-side taper: yes
ID (Entrance): 101.6 (4.0")
ID (Exit): 85.000mm? (or 85.725?)
OD: ?

Last edited:
I called Kurtz Kustomz... he was a little reluctant to give out information on his adapter (he was afraid I was trying to steal his design I think), but here's what I got out of him:

ID @ MAF: 70mm (intended to match the stock SVT 70mm MAF)
OD @ Filter: 3 5/8"
Taper - Yes (he would not give me an ID at the filter end to determine the extent of the taper)

He also stated that the Mirko and his are the same dimensions, only that the Mirko was more colorful and had the mirko name on it.

Last edited:
From the sound of it, the Mirko has and ID of 88.9mm, which then tapers out to a knifed edge where the filter is mounted.

I'm skeptical about the KKM measurements they gave you. The OD of 92mm sounds good... but ID of 70mm? The sampling section of the MAF is 73mm (not including the tube) and the entrance is 84mm... so if the adapter is 70mm, that's far too small.

How long until you're able to access your adapter? And do you have a caliper to measure with?

I'm going to go a head and get the Mirko. I'll remeasure it just to be sure of the #'s.

It'll be another week and a half until i can get my hands on my adapter...

So your saying 70mm doesn't mate up to the MAF... b/c he assured me that the adapter on the MAF side perfectly mated to the stock MAF.

heh... he told me the same thing. But the MAF entrance is 84mm. A MAF adapter of 70mm is even smaller than the middle sampling section. The BAT adapter was 78.6mm which is too small. I'm guessing he either guessed at the measurement or measured it wrong.

Well I received the Mirko MAF adapter today... and I am very impressed! Not only is it appropriately sized (much bigger than the BAT adapter)... it is a very high quality piece of cut aluminum. It also came with 4 bolts and washers (which the BAT doesn't). Also intersting is the back side of the adapter is cut to perfectly fit the screen, if used.

Check out my revised comparisons above for my measurements of it. It does differ slightly from the measurements from Mirko.

Edit: I almost forgot.... it also came with 2 aluminum brackets to support the MAF assembly.

Last edited:
Back