• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Slight grinding when going into 4th

JesusFreak

Hard-core CEG'er
Its been happening for a long time, want to get it fixed eventually. If I am really high in the rpms, and shift hard, its grinds going into 4th. Only when I shift it fast and at high rpms. At normal driving, it doesnt do it...

Is this the trans, or shift cables, what is this most likely?

Also, is this what reebs is talking about in his post? If so, then I have my answers, its a stock trans, no LSD, stock clutch and flywheel. Was rebuilt about a year and a half ago when I had the engine dropped into it. Been doing it ever since then, but guy who built it did it 3 times, and finally said he wasnt doing it again. The first time, the car would not even go into third... its been a nightmare, and I've lived with it long enough!

Last edited:
sounds like a bad synchro. Save up and get all the transmission goodies you want. It will most likely only get worse until you get the trans fixed. I wouldn't shift at high RPM's in that gear if you don't have the money to fix it now, or want to wait to fix it. Abuse will only make the problem worse.

yeah, it happened from the time the tranny was put in, they rebuilt it twice, and it still ahppened and basically the guy told me he wasnt going to rebuild it, and refunded my money, why ive been dealing with it, so we'll see

Back