• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Jerky, bumpy, steering wheel ?

Kayden

Be Gentle I'm New Here
Hello there,
I looked through the archives and couldn't find an answer to this.

My steering wheel has a jerky motion to it, usually when turning. There's no sound, the ride is fine and smooth. The only way to describe it; jerky, bumpy, the steering wheel actually moves on its own sometimes. This started a few days ago. Any idea's ? It's an 99 contour.

Thank-you
K.

Do the 3-9 o'clock test. You may have a lower ball joint going out, a tie rod issue or steering rack issue.

Ball joints, wheel bearings, tie rods, lower control arms.

Jack up the car and check lower control arm bushings. Do the 12-6 and 3-9 o'clock test.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...ld=1week&Main=1285070&Search=true#Post1285671

Loose feeling-steering column (check for missing screws under the column).
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...89888&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=1

--------------------
"Always do the cheap and easy ones first."

Last edited:
Thanks,

I'll take a look at those threads, I know very little about cars, so I guess it's off to the garage....again

Let's clarify something:

When you describe the wheel, are you describing what the wheel does when you hit bumps on the road? (ie, hit a dip and the wheel dives one direction or the other.. wandering across the road)

or what the steering wheel does when you are physically turning it?

I have a similar problem, I had my outer ties looked at, one was replaced on the driver side and the one on the passenger side is good. However I didn't even looked at the ball joints and the control arms might be bad on both sides. I put new tires on and I want to fix this problem before I accellerate the wear of these tires.

Let's clarify something:

When you describe the wheel, are you describing what the wheel does when you hit bumps on the road? (ie, hit a dip and the wheel dives one direction or the other.. wandering across the road)

or what the steering wheel does when you are physically turning it?

No, I don't have this problem when hitting bumps on the road. When turning steering wheel; its jerky...bumpy, moves back and forth by it self. The feel is kinda stiff. There is no noise, car runs OK otherwise.

We'll see, it goes on Wednesday to the garage, I'll let you know.

Thanks for the replies..

When you say "tighten bolts under column" what do you mean by column? Where exactly should I be looking? Is it near the area where I removed the CV joint to replace that rubber boot that usually develops a hole? Where am I looking to adjust this play in the steering wheel? Also I think I need a lower ball joint on my right front, how do I test for that?

Got the car back today;

My right front wheel was bent. Needed 2 front tires and rotation, and wheel. ( I didn't think my tires were that bad) Anyway, wondering how the wheel got bent, the contour is not used alot, just local errands and shopping. Maybe 1,000 miles a year. On the way home the window knob came off. It's always something...

I have a Subaru and Nissan that I use all the time and no problems.

Thanks for the help..

Hello there,
I looked through the archives and couldn't find an answer to this.

My steering wheel has a jerky motion to it, usually when turning. There's no sound, the ride is fine and smooth. The only way to describe it; jerky, bumpy, the steering wheel actually moves on its own sometimes. This started a few days ago. Any idea's ? It's an 99 contour.

Thank-you
K.

Check for a bad tire first, a bubble in the tire can cause crazy steering feedback.

Then check the balljoint or tie-rod ends

Back