• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Question about pushing gas pedal

ottoschutze

CEG'er
Any opinions about my suggestion to that the gas pedal should not be depressed while /when starting a less than 10 year old car .. A certain person I know does it and then I suggested it may flood the engine and cause fouling and maybe
even stalling .. because once only in 8 years it stalled when she tried to leave fast one evening in Ohio Winter time .....what do the knowledgable Ford Guys think? Am I full of hot air/gas ?

there is no way you can flood a new engine. the fuel distribution is all done by the computer so there is no need to press the pedal, and even if you do, you will not harm/flood the engine.

Flooring the gas pedal while turning the key shuts off the fuel delivery in most cars with EFI systems, so there's no need to do that unless you're using the feature to help with diagnostics. Typically, this move is used with carbureted engines.

The Owners' Manual tells you not to do that unless the engine is flooded. Then only do you push the pedal all the way down. This will help by closing out the fuel injectors.

Last edited:
Turn the key and start, nothing else needed. Old carburated cars needed "help" by setting the choke (1 push of gas) crank over, start.

Back