• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Need Help With Steering Rack

murky024

New CEG'er
Alright,
So I went to Pepboys to get my alignment done and they tell me that my steering rack is loose and that is the reason I am getting binding when I steer. So I decide to just fix this myself as for everything that needed done plus the alignment they wanted $280... (also need a ball joint drilled out and have a bolt in one put in its place)

So from my tracking the steering rack is just behind the transmission and behind the axles. What bolts do I want to be tightening? Can someone guide me in the right direction? I would like to get the Contour back on the road.

Thanks in advance.

Something doesn't sound right. Get a 2nd opinion. Price is way to low for a new rack with labor to install and align. Nature of failure described to us also doesn't sound right.

Something doesn't sound right. Get a 2nd opinion. Price is way to low for a new rack with labor to install and align. Nature of failure described to us also doesn't sound right.
Yes, it sounds more like a lower ball joint or tie rod issue. Each will cost about $100 to $150 and then an alignment (maybe $80?).

Bing in the rack is a common failure. The guy at Pepboys might (or not) have been correct. Since he had his hands on it, I'll go with his assesment in the abcense of a 2nd, unbiased opinion.

$280 isn't enough for a boat payment, much less to replace a rack by someone who's done it before on a Contour (I have, it's no fun and I wouldn't do it for that price).

Steve

I dont need the rack replaced. It looks as though it was replaced but they didnt tighten it down right...

Edit:
At least that is what they said... I will get a second opinion after I get the rest of the car together...

Last edited:
Check the nuts on the upper strut bearings too. Mine were slightly over torqued and it made my steering bind.

This could be the problem! I know my strut mounts/bearings are going out as the sound from them is atrocious. That may be what is causing all this nastiness.

Back