• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Headers.....gutted Pre-cats...tune?

allstyle12

CEG'er
I understand headers offer decent gains. However, I have heard and read that with the headers installed on the Contour without a decent tune, you don't net much more WHP over stock. Is this true? If so, I am curious if similar gains can be accomplished with gutted pre-cats with a tune. I am pretty sure the headers net you more horsepower vs. gutted pre-cats with a tune due to turbulence. I am just wondering how much.

Thanks,

A

Last edited:
Headers will get you a noticable gain over stock w/o a tune. A tune may or may not be able to improve above those gains. But you def. do not need a tune just to put on headers.

Congrats on getting it running right. How does it feel?

Yes. A tune is not necessary in order for headers to work. In addition, a tune is not necessary for you to put them on (LOL). To get them to work to their full potential a tune is required. My question was basically, how much will you gain with headers with a tune over gutting cats with a tune. A few people posted that when they installed headers (no tune) vs stock (no tune) they felt a small gain in power.

Last edited:
Just to be clear, you WILL need to get MIL eliminators. A tune will not be needed. If you get a check engine light, your car will pull timing, dump loads of fuel, and your performance will go down the tubes. MIL eliminators will remedy that.

Crap. just realized this thread is a few days old. What the hell. I'm drunk because I'm celebrating the 4th of July & my oldest daughter just got engaged.

Last edited:
Just to be clear, you WILL need to get MIL eliminators. A tune will not be needed. If you get a check engine light, your car will pull timing, dump loads of fuel, and your performance will go down the tubes. MIL eliminators will remedy that.

Crap. just realized this thread is a few days old. What the hell. I'm drunk because I'm celebrating the 4th of July & my oldest daughter just got engaged.

Congrats on your daughters recent engagement.

Thank you for the MIL clarification. However, my question was not MIL related and I am quite familiar how they function.

Thanks anyway…

Congrats on your daughters recent engagement.

Thank you for the MIL clarification. However, my question was not MIL related and I am quite familiar how they function.

Thanks anyway…

Got it - no offense intended. Just making notes for the newbs out there that might read the thread & incorrectly think that bolting on headers is all you gotta do. The MILS gotta be there for the car to function properly & to its full potential if you add headers.
:cool:

Back