• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Charged my AC now the compressor does not turn on

gmangatjr

Be Gentle I'm New Here
Charged my ac and the damn thing does not turn on. I may have over pressurized, if this is the case is there a high pressure switch that will disable A/C???? 98 ford contour, 2.0L SE. Thanks

Indeed there is. I imagine you were careful when charging, but its possible that you've given the system more R-134 than it wants.

Charged my ac and the damn thing does not turn on. I may have over pressurized, if this is the case is there a high pressure switch that will disable A/C???? 98 ford contour, 2.0L SE. Thanks

here we go again :rolleyes::nonono:

how did you charge the system? wal-mart type kit? :nonono:

one if you have to fill the system then there is a leak that needs to be fixed.

two you need to bring the system to a vacuum first

third there are high and low side pressures to adhere to ...

take it to a shop, please ...

If it isn't turning on at all it can't be from an overcharge. The high pressure cuttoff will first turn the fan on high before it cuts off the compressor. Both happen at over 300psi on the high side. There is no way to get the static pressure in the system that high. If it's overcharged it will short cycle as the compressor output drives the pressure up. This sounds much the same as an undercharge (cycling on the low pressure limit switch) which is one of the reasons BrApple keeps saying to only charge ths system witha full gauge set and the associated knowledge.

If it isn't turning on at all it can't be from an overcharge. The high pressure cuttoff will first turn the fan on high before it cuts off the compressor. Both happen at over 300psi on the high side. There is no way to get the static pressure in the system that high. If it's overcharged it will short cycle as the compressor output drives the pressure up. This sounds much the same as an undercharge (cycling on the low pressure limit switch) which is one of the reasons BrApple keeps saying to only charge ths system witha full gauge set and the associated knowledge.

thank you so much for listening to what I have been "saying" :eek:

that is a good point about over charging the system. And it is true that to low of a pressure will not turn the system on. I was going to ask how many oz of refrigerant where put into the system.

now I may dissagree about the pressures when the system is off, but I can't recall exactly how it reads when the system is off ... I do know the low pressure side increases but i don't recall what the high side pressure does ...

Back