• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Need help on fabricating my front lip!!!

keithr

Veteran CEG'er
Hello everyone, if I wanted to mold something directly on to my stock bumper, say a Mirko or some other type of lip, what would be the best thing that would stick to the plastic bumper for molding/filling purposes.

I guess something like a bondo, but not bondo? I need help, I am working on a custom fiberglass lip but I will need to fill the gaps between the glass and the plastic, and mold a few corners in. And will the fiberglass even stick to the plastic very well?

Thanks,
Keith

I forget what the compound is, but they use it at body shops and other places. it's 2 compounds that when mixed create a strong rubery adhesive. I used it on my mirko. Molded it right to the bumper, then smoothened out everything with bondo. It lasted 3 years, and it saw more than its fair share of bumps and bruises

Right on, thanks for the info, if you can remember what that compound is called let me know, thanks.

Keith

i repaired my rear bumper on the inside with fiberglass matting and resin. it worked out great. soon im going to build a one off fiberglass front lip but it will be removable incase it looks like crap. stay away from bondo for large filling projects, unless you are going to wait to paint it for a year, it shrinks and will crack paint! trust me on that one, i have proof.

Back