• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Rebuilt 3L hybrid, some problems

CLASSVT

Veteran CEG'er
Now that I have my car back from the rebuild I'm noticing some sounds that are bothering me. First off during cold starts it sounds like a dang diesel truck. I can't describe it any better than that. I know if you put it next to an actual diesel they would sound totally different, but it resembles an idling diesel. It does this until the engine temp rises closer to normal. There is nothing harsh about the sound, and it goes away completely after the engine is at normal temp. The second sound I've been hearing is just of lately, since it's been getting cold out at night. I can hear a very faint ticking, like having a card in your spokes. It doesn't increase with rpm, and it doesn't change with engine temp. I've only noticed this for the last couple of nights. It really seems like it only does it at night, when it's chilly. I had the regulator on my alternator stick open on me the other week, and it melted some of the surround on the black cable next to my positive battery cable (ground?). It has not reoccured, but I do plan to replace it when I get some cash. I don't assume that the incident caused this ticking, but I can't rule it out. So there you have it. I've been paranoid as hell ever since my piston broke, which was the reason for the rebuild, and these noises aren't helping at all. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Last edited:
Sorry, no can do. I have nothing to record it with and I also own the oldest computer legally allowed. Kinda' makes it a shot in the dark, I know.

I am not running the heater when I hear the ticking, so I don't think it would be the culprit. Could the ticking be from a leak where my K&N meets the MAF adapter? There seems to be a poor seal there. As for the first sound,(not the ticking), it disappears after 2.5K rpm, even when the engine is cold. I'm going to have the shop look at it. I have a 90 day warranty on labor, so it should be free. Thanks for your help sir.

Could the ticking sound be injectors? Not sure if the ticking sound would get faster when the rpm's increase or not. I've never experienced this ticking, but have heard of other CEG'ers that have.

Mark

Yeah the regulator hasn't acted up again... I guess I'll gamble and wait to fix it since I'm broke. But I can only hear this ticking when it's cold outside. Maybe the cold temp is making it more pronounced, but it's still odd as hell. It's very faint too. As for the noise at start-up, I'm chalking it up as v-train noise until someone tells me otherwise. It does sound like v-train noise, but it has a 'whirring' type of sound to it as well. I'm going to start off by getting a new K&N and MAF adapter anyway, since one is needed. Mark did you ever get your K&N to fit with the BAT pipe? I know you said you were going to try to make it work again.

Last edited:
Ryan,
I ended up going with a CTA pipe to fit the K&N I have. The CTA pipe is a couple inches shorter than the BAT pipe. As for the sound the car makes on cold startups, I'm thinking it could be a combination of stuff from the tranny. There could be a little bit of a whirring sound coming from the LSD, and your SPEC clutch causing the gear roll-over noise. Listening to my car the other day, I could kind of see the resemblance that you talked about. We have essentially the same setup.

Mark

Yeah but I have no LSD, and the sound doesn't change with the clutch's engage/disengagement. I'm just going to stop worrying about it. But damn I would like to make the RU 3530 fit with the BAT pipe. Maybe I'll just try to fix my MAF adapter. To top it all off, yesterday I got CEL P0153 and P1151. Thing is, I changed out that O2 sensor about a month ago with a brand new Denso sensor. Any ideas on why that would happen? It seems to fit the theme of bull**** that has surrounded my car lately.

Back