• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

What 3L should I go with?

svttouruofl

CEG'er
My 3rd gear synchro went out recently and I figure that while I fix that and the engine is out it would be a good time to upgrade to a 3L and possibly even a turbo. My question is which of the following two engines would be a better choice for a 3L swap?

2005 3.0L Duratech with 30K miles for $500. The engine comes with an automatic transmission which I figure that I could sell to knock the price down.

1999 3.0L Duratech with 75K miles for $200.

Both engines run and have went up for sale locally.

Which one would be better and are these prices reasonable?

Thanks for the info,
Zack

The only one on that site that I saw that even came close to the ones that I was looking at was $400 and had 40K miles on it, not to mention it is over 4 hours away from me.

These that I am looking at are less than 30 mins from me. Which of THEM would be best for a swap.

I do believe there are piston issues with anything newer than 2003. 2000 (mid yr.?) was the changeover yr. for the H2O pump. 1996 - 1999 used a front driven pump. If you're willing to drive it externally (electric?) you can use the earlier motor. 2001+ uses the pump drive from the LH intake cam just like our 2.5's.

I do believe there are piston issues with anything newer than 2003. 2000 (mid yr.?) was the changeover yr. for the H2O pump. 1996 - 1999 used a front driven pump. If you're willing to drive it externally (electric?) you can use the earlier motor. 2001+ uses the pump drive from the LH intake cam just like our 2.5's.

Not to bring up a dead post...

But is this true? The 01-03 engines had stronger pistons then the 03+? The reason I ask is because I'm looking at either a 01-03 block for about $150 bucks more than the 03+. If the above is true though I'd rather spend the extra $150 and get the tougher version :)

Back