• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

car dies at 4k

svt2sho

CEG'er
hi i purchased y2ksvts car about a month ago. im having a little trouble with it. when i take the car up to 4000 rpms its falls on its face, for intance when i shift at 4 k from one gear to the next and go to get back on the gas it just dies. and then catches again. it wont come to a complete shut off. and it seems to only die from 4000 to 3000 rpms. any ideas?

I responded to your PM, but I don't really have any sort of answer. I guess I'm still unclear as to what's going on. :shrug: I never had anything like that happen when I owned the car. What I'm unclear on, is whether it's literally dieing on you, and if so, when? Is it when you push the clutch in, and the rpm's are dropping, or after you upshift and you get back on the gas? We'll need some more details. It doesn't sound like an IMRC issue, but more like a vacuum leak or possibly an IAC problem?

Mark

Could be the TPS, might have a dead spot in it, happened with my 5.0 once.... if it is, get Ford, not aftermarket! You can test it with a multimeter, just check the consistency of the ohm readings as it rotates... look for a blip (0 reading) somewhere in the rotation... As Tony said, IMRC too, I just fixed mine thanks to his expetise!:eek:

Back