• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

car dies at 4k

svt2sho

CEG'er
hi i purchased y2ksvts car about a month ago. im having a little trouble with it. when i take the car up to 4000 rpms its falls on its face, for intance when i shift at 4 k from one gear to the next and go to get back on the gas it just dies. and then catches again. it wont come to a complete shut off. and it seems to only die from 4000 to 3000 rpms. any ideas?

Any CELS? look for something that isnt connected such as a vacuum line. My car did this when I would hit the brakes I had the p1151 code and I just changed the upper front o2. I think thats the fix for the p1151 I have yet to test it since its raining like crazy right now.

If its falling rapidly between shifts, but not shutting down all the way could it be some sort of IAC issue?

do the revs drop really fast when you push in the clutch and the engine stalls? If so, my 3L did do that. It's the flywheel, and the dashpot needs to be adjusted.

Makes no sense that it would just start if it were the flywheel and needing to change something in the tune. Mark drove it for how long.....

its not that the rpms are dropping to fast, on rev down it dies between 40000 to 3000 rpms. all dash lights come on such as battery...etc plust the security light comes on but radio stays on so its engine dieing not electical.

Try something.

disconnect the TPS sensor from the TPS and then drive it.

You may toss a CEL code for having no TPS, but see if the symptoms go away.

Check your fuel pressure when it is acting up. A common problem with the 2000 SVT (and late 99 with returnless fuel system) is a plugged fuel inlet screen on the fuel pump module. It is too small and too fine. It isn't needed as there is another sock type filter in front of the pump inside the pump module.

If you have a loss of fuel pressure when it is acting up, pull the pump and check the screen. If it is plugged, remove it and throw it as far as you can. If needed, clean out the tank, put it back together and see if you didn't solve the problem.

Jim,
Just as an fyi, the car has a Focus SVT fuel pump and 39# 03 Cobra injectors. The Xcal2 was tuned for that fuel delivery.

Mark

so i edisconnected the TPS sensor and drove around for a while, it was still doing it. i stopped driving reconnected it, cleared the CEL and it didnt do it anymore until i took it to like 6800 in firts and was shifting to second as soon as i got back on the gas it did it again. but i messed with the wiring on ther TPS sensor cuz it seemed loose and the problem pretty much went away for ther time being. thanx guys

bad and good news....i went out to get in the car this morning and it was still having the same prolems. but i tried something i disconnected the IMRC and the problem would go away when i have it disconnected. so i need a new IMRC anyone got one?

I'm surprised it's an IMRC issue, with the dash lights coming on. I had the IMRC spring unhooked at one point, but it just didn't have any power after ~3000rpms. I took the IMRC cover off a few years ago, so overheating "shouldn't" have been a problem. Did you put a cover back on?

Mark

Back