• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

what are the best shift points for normal driving?

97vulcan

CEG'er
I was wondering if someone could tell me at what RPM's to shift from with my 98 CSVT? I just want to know for normal driving.

Thanks,

Adam

ive wondered too like for best gas mileage
i shift at 2500 normally
hills or to get on the interstate i shift right before the secondaries open like somewhere 3500 -3700
i get 25mpg

i know they list the shift points in the owners manual. i think it gives you MPH though. it lists them for both driving and accelerating. i tried it and you end up accelerating really slow and shifting at like 3k.

Driving so the secondaries never open is a great way to gunk up your butterflies and burn up your imrc.

It's also a poor way to run a nice high rpm motor. :p

hell yeah
I usually **** arounf 3500 rpm but it happens once in the blue moon because it hurts not to give that engine some air. hihihihi

4000-5000 is the usual and I love it.

hell yeah
I usually shift around 3500 rpm but it happens once in the blue moon because it hurts not to give that engine some air. hihihihi

4000-5000 is the norm and I love it.

Driving so the secondaries never open is a great way to gunk up your butterflies and burn up your imrc.

It's also a poor way to run a nice high rpm motor. :p
Is there some evidence to support the first statement regarding the IMRC? What would cause it to burn out? As far as gunk, short drives, not warming up the engine and dodgy oil change intervals would likely be more to blame.

I understand the desire to spin these engines into their higher rpm ranges but it isn't really necessary to do so in order to get down the road with any real alacrity. Shifting between 2500 - 3000 rpms works just fine.
Karl

Is there some evidence to support the first statement regarding the IMRC? What would cause it to burn out? As far as gunk, short drives, not warming up the engine and dodgy oil change intervals would likely be more to blame.

I understand the desire to spin these engines into their higher rpm ranges but it isn't really necessary to do so in order to get down the road with any real alacrity. Shifting between 2500 - 3000 rpms works just fine.
Karl
Boring.

I've usually shift between 5-7k rpm. I've been expecting to get used to the car and get bored with pushing the pedal to the floor for 2 years now and I still can't resist. I get 21-23 mpg.

Karl
From your join date, I'm surprised by your statement. There have been many instances, in the old forums, of what I said. The secondary butterflies will gunk up no matter what you do, but if they never move, they will be difficult to move when you finally want them to. It's best to regularly clean them to keep this from happening. If you don't clean them... and if you never drive so they open, your IMRC motor can burn out from the resistance of the sludged over butterflies.

If you don't go over 3000rpm, I think you'd be better off with a diesel ;)

From your join date, I'm surprised by your statement. There have been many instances, in the old forums, of what I said. The secondary butterflies will gunk up no matter what you do, but if they never move, they will be difficult to move when you finally want them to. It's best to regularly clean them to keep this from happening. If you don't clean them... and if you never drive so they open, your IMRC motor can burn out from the resistance of the sludged over butterflies.

If you don't go over 3000rpm, I think you'd be better off with a diesel ;)
Yeah, a :troutslap: for me. However, as I mentioned in another post, gear shifts in the rpm range you mention will get you a nice exibition of speed ticket just about anywhere inside city limits. FWIW, I might take it to 4 -5K on a freeway onramp once in a while but it really isn't necessary (and likely impossible) in most traffic situations where I live unless it's three in the morning and no one is on the road.
Karl

Also, is it wise to double clutch when downshifting with the MTX-75? and do all the gears have synchros?

Thanks,
Ada

Also, is it wise to double clutch when downshifting with the MTX-75? and do all the gears have synchros?

Thanks,
Ada

wheather your upshifting or downshifting there is no need to double clutch. 1st-3rd have a dual-syncro setup and 4th and 5th have single syncros. i personally rev match when downshifting but its a personal preferance.

I shift @ 3K every gear, unless I'm merging into traffic, then it first through third @ redline.
When you shift at 3k, where does that put your rpms in the next gear? Do you never get on the freeway? Cruising on the freeway, my rpms are usually 3800-4000rpm.

In the end.. shift points really depends on how much gas your giving it -- not a universal static number. For me, I'm usually shifting around 5000, but regularly see 7100.. but if I'm trolling around a residential area, around 3500-4000.

When you shift at 3k, where does that put your rpms in the next gear? Do you never get on the freeway? Cruising on the freeway, my rpms are usually 3800-4000rpm.

In the end.. shift points really depends on how much gas your giving it -- not a universal static number. For me, I'm usually shifting around 5000, but regularly see 7100.. but if I'm trolling around a residential area, around 3500-4000.
Oh reeeally. Rev limiter is 6750 my friend.

thanks for the info guys. I was wondering because sometimes when I downshift, I get a jirkey feeling when the clutch and engine meet. What is the cause of this? Am I letting out the clutch too fast? Also sometimes, I get a little jerk feeling when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Is it due to me not giving it enough gas, or letting the clutch out too fast?? Iam stumped!

Thanks

Adam

Oh reeeally. Rev limiter is 6750 my friend.
Maybe for you ;)

thanks for the info guys. I was wondering because sometimes when I downshift, I get a jirkey feeling when the clutch and engine meet. What is the cause of this? Am I letting out the clutch too fast? Also sometimes, I get a little jerk feeling when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Is it due to me not giving it enough gas, or letting the clutch out too fast?? Iam stumped!

Thanks

Adam
When you downshift, do you give it gas to bring the revs up? You might also want to check all your mounts/roll restrictors to make sure they're in good condition.

I always shift @ 3K on the freeway - I have a long sloping on ramp that passes over the freeway, so I can get away with it. When I shift gears @ 3K, the next gear is at about 2500 - 2800 rpm and holds. I commute over 110 miles a day to work and back. I usually do 80+ mph on the freeway, so my RPM's are anywhere from 3-4K depending if I want to do 90+ or not. The only time my car sees redline is merging from 694 to 35W in rush hour, or if I'm trying my best to leave my tires on the pavement...

Ah... just noticed you have a 3L. I have no power below 3400rpm, but with your low-end torque, you probably don't have any problems like that.

Back