• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

COuld someone please point me to ta step by step swap guide?

I checked out the parts list writeup in the archives but I figured by now someone would have done a swap writeup. I am considering a non running CSVT in my area and would love to have a 3L swapped Contour. Is there a one stop step by step where I could print it out and keep it on my work bench while working? The one thats in the old archives doesn't have pics anymore so it doesn't make sense.

I looked in the archived stickies on the old forum and here but perhaps I missed it.

Also in your opinion what is the easiest way to go about this? I was planning on just swapping the bare minimum from the 2.5L and keeping the stock 3L heads,cams,intake,etc. I am not looking for a huge HP upgrade. Just want a more reliable engine with some extra power thats still factory stock.

Last question,I have the ford CD, would a Haynes or Chiltons be better help, I have only pulled an engine in a Lincoln town car before, never a FWD engine and am a self taught mechanic.

Last edited:
There presently is not a step by step guide out there. There a few different swap possibilities. Once you make that choice you would be able to start asking more specific questions in here.

Here are the main issues I have read about....

A: Keeping 3L heads and using 3L intakes. Requires a modified fuel rail, modified trottle body bracket, and modified vacuum lines. I dont know what happens to the coil pack in this arrangement.

B: Keeping 3L heads and porting them to accept SVT intakes. Everything bolts up as stock would have.

C: Some swap SVT 2.5 heads onto 3L blocks, the hybrid setup. There are some oil passages that need to be blocked for this to work. Again you would use svt intakes.

* I have read that there is a particular setup that causes issues with the drive pulleys for the water pump. I dont know what setup causes this but I do KNOW that choice C doesnt have any issues here.

Choice C is my suggestion as the only non stock thing you really have to do is port the heads to use svt lower intake manifold. The rest goes together like like stock.

I also prefer to bring over the svt cams. Again, it allows the use of all stock svt timing components, cams, chains, guides, tensioners, arms, timing cover. The pulse wheel you will read about stays oriented the same way as it came off if using the svt timing cover.

Anyway, that should get ya started. Oh yeah, Taurus, Sable block 01+ vin S.

There are also a couple of extra "ears" on the 3L block that need to cut off and a pilot bushing that needs to be pulled. These can be discussed in more detail if you actually decide to do this.

Thanks for the replies, I will look more into this but will probably decide on B. I still have to swap over the accessories, timing over, etc. right?

With option B after you port the heads everything goes back on exactly like it would with the 2.5 minus the alternator. You need to shave some tabs off for that. You might want to pickup a Ford CD.

Back