• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

wheels fall off at autocross

funny how they all "stripped out" or "backed themselvs out" in sequence :shrug:

i dunno, this video makes me wonder if its not some sort of expensive bs joke!?

I also have a hard time believing this unless:

The car is trailered to the event. They put the new wheels on at the competition. And They put the lugs on with an impact wrench. If the studs were of a "coarse" style bolt, and you used a "Fine" thread nut, the impact would zip them right on. At an offical event you would not start screwing off in line, so when it was his turn it lit it up and immediatly all the lugs blew off. Notice the rears fell out first, then the fronts from the bounce.

So it is possible, but really ****ty luck.

The trick to impact guns and lugs are that you put the lug almost all the way on by hand and hit it with the gun when you can't tighten them anymore.

I've seen a tard put the lug in the gun to put them on. Strip out three studs before I caught him. My dads a 30 year mechanic and he has never had that happens so it's completely user error.

-Andy

The trick to impact guns and lugs are that you put the lug almost all the way on by hand and hit it with the gun when you can't tighten them anymore.

I've seen a tard put the lug in the gun to put them on. Strip out three studs before I caught him. My dads a 30 year mechanic and he has never had that happens so it's completely user error.

-Andy

I had the SVT in for warranty work at the dealer quite a while ago. Whatever it is that they were replacing was not critical to the operation of the car, but the part was on order, and I needed the car for the next day. As such, I was very specific with the service writer (who, like most of them, was a bit dim) and let him know not to have the techs get involved in anything that was going to prevent me from picking the car up that evening. Any remaining work could wait, and I'd happily schedule a new appointment.

He informed that all was well, and indeed I could pick up the car that night with no worries. Of course, when I showed up, no one else had any idea that I was picking up the car earlier than expected. All those bozos thought they had another day.

I started thinking of this after I'd made it a few miles down the road. I had to perform the most unnatural task of thinking like many dealership service employees -- that is, like an idiot. I figured that since no one knew what anyone else was doing, that the mechanics might have only put the nuts on tight enough to get the car out of the shop until the aforementioned part came in, in anticipation of the the next day's installation.

Since I already knew that the service writer hadn't told anyone about his plan to release the car early, it seemed solid logic to figure that he had looked into the mechanicals of the situation not one iota.

I was almost right. The problem was worse. When I went to tighten the nuts, they spun. And continued to spin long past the point where they should have been tight. Some total moron had clearly put the nut in the impact socket and gone for broke, shearing out every thread.

I replaced the nuts and the affected lugs (at another shop) and was back in business. Calling the dealership produced the kind of result you would expect: "Oh, I don't know if he did that..." I haven't been back since, of course. I wouldn't let those hamsters turn wrenches on a Schwinn.

Last edited:
Back