• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

HVAC problems

csvtjohnga

Hard-core CEG'er
Short and simple. nothing is working. about to search but cant find the problem on the vehicle. just went through the fuses and they are fine. panel wont work. neither a/c settings work. defrost. nothing. any suggestions on whats wrong?

I've not ever had the occasion to delve into this in a Contour (hopefully never will), but in Taurus SHO land, there's a HVAC vacuum canister under the dash, directly behind and below the radio. When it fails, you cannot control where the air goes -- it disables the blend door and fan controls. The default in those cars is to blast air out the defroster in the case of a vacuum failure.

I'd take a peek in that department, but, sadly, cannot pinpoint your problem for sure.

the above post is correct, there is a bulletin by ford that states there is the possiblilty that the vac hose may come off the blend door actuator that is manipulated by vac.

John, I would look at your blower motor, etc, if NO modes are blowing (including defrost, as a loss of vacuum would do, like alluded to above).

hey not sure if this will help but the heater panel/controls are run inthe same fuse as the backup lights and directionals.... my directionals were not working or my back up lights nor my heater so i pulled the only fuse under the problem being back up lights and that was it... maybe this will help mybe not...:confused:

You will need to more clearly define the fault.

Typical faults are:

1) Blower motor does not work

2) Blower works, loss of temperature control (always hot or cold, can't adjust)

3) Loss of control of the air outlet (wrong outlet)

4) Normal blower and outlet control, but no cooling (acts like control is in VENT)

Each symptom has a separate set of causes, some of which might be interrelated

Outlet selection control is strictly vacuum operated. There is nothing electrical in that portion of the system.

Air temperature blend is independent of the control of the MODE switch. It is, however, supplied by the same fuse that enables the Heater Blower Relay (CJB F23).

Blower motor operation requires the ignition switch in RUN, the mode switch in any position except off, CJB F23, Blower relay energized, CJB F37, the blower motor, and the ground return path which consists of the blower speed switch and the resistor pack. The resistor pack is not in-circuit in HI speed.

Compressor clutch requires the blower motor relay energized, cycling switch and high pressure cutout switches both closed, A/C WOT relay NOT energized (controlled by PCM), the A/C clutch relay energized when the WOT relay is not energized, and the clutch coil.

As noted the same fuse (CJB F23) also protects the backups, turn signals, shift interlock on automatics, and a few more circuits.

Pick which symptom you're trying to repair for focused help.

Steve

All of mine went out a few years back. Problem was the fuse holder started to melt and pulled away from the fuse. I ended up placing a jumper with a fuse holder around it because it kept melting. If you put a jumper in make sure to buy a fuse holder with heavy wire - like 10 gauge - all the way through the block. I think it is a 20 amp circuit?
When that circuit fails the whole system goes out; even the cabin blower.

1) Blower motor does not work

nothing works. when its switched from "off" to "panel" to "ac" to "defrost" i can hear it movin around behind the dash and it sounds like its pressurizing or releasing air. and where are these CJB F23 fuses/relays at? thanks everyone for your help and ill be digging back into it tonight:cool:

CJB= Central Junction Box. That's the name for the fuse panel under the dash.

Based on the frequency of reports, I'd just pull the blower speed switch and inspect it for overheating. That happens to be a common failure.

Steve

CJB is fuse box to left of steering column, it has a release handle to let it hang down so you can see what's wrong.

CJB= Central Junction Box. That's the name for the fuse panel under the dash.

Based on the frequency of reports, I'd just pull the blower speed switch and inspect it for overheating. That happens to be a common failure.

Steve

Where is this switch located? whats it look like also?

on the blower motor its self or what?

thanks for ya'lls help

fuse R14 has no power.:shrug: so its the switch then right?

Well, there's no such thing as a "fuse R14". There is a relay R14 that is the heater blower relay.

If there is no power to it (depends on which pins you were checking), the fault CANNOT be either the motor or the blower speed switch.

Possible fault would be either of the two fuses named above or the MODE switch or a harness fault.

Steve

This diagram and fuse locations may help

This diagram and fuse locations may help

blowercircuit.gif
[/IMG]

fuse1.gif
[/IMG]

fuse2.gif
[/IMG]

Back