• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3L wont start

xh20x

CEG'er
heres the deal, car turns over fine and feels like its about to start but never does.

1999 svt 105,000miles
3L is out of a 03 sable with 29,000 miles.
3L timing equipment and cams
3L heads ported out for svt manifold
svt intake manifold

i have replaced the wires, plugs, ignition module, crankshaft and camshaft position sensor.

any suggestions?

Thats your problem. pulse wheel gets set to whatever timing cover you are using. I did the same thing, only with an escape cover

Yeah you can pull the timing cover. It's not that bad of a job. Pull the UIM, LIM, valve covers, crank pulley, and the alternator and just pull it off. It took me about 3 hours to remove my timing cover with the engine in the car.

its possible, very limited space wise.... I pulled mine, but i also had to change the slave cylinder

Yeah, I did the same thing on mine. Took me about 10 hours in a not so well lit garage to get the cover off, re-index the wheel and get it all back together again. WOW, what a mistake that was.

Yeah but you can take the bolts out, and then pop the cover off away from the engine. (I actually installed the valve covers before the timing cover (I believe)

You can do it that way, but you really run the risk of ruining your valve cover gaskets just about the timing cover... especially that pesky corner right above the alternator!!

You don't necessarily have to remove the LIM, though...

Back