• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Contour SVT Name

Dave98SVT

CEG'er
I searched but couldn't find anything on this topic. My question is why don't the SVT Contour and Focus have names like the Mustang and F-150?

Because we are the loser SVT owners. :laugh:

But actually.

The Contour and the Focus were pathetic attempts at performance cars.

They ran decent in stock form but needed more power (why didnt we just get the 3L to begin with??? Why no LSD??? Why is the clutch crappy???)

The Cobra and Lightning actually made decent power and had beefed up everything.

Just my .02

Plus, what would you call the contour? It's a 4 door sedan FFS, it cant really have a "cool" name like Cobra or Lightning.

They ran decent in stock form but needed more power (why didnt we just get the 3L to begin with??? Why no LSD??? Why is the clutch crappy???)

Umm did you see the other cars that came out in 1998? the SVT Contour (not Contour SVT!) did very very well.

But actually.

The Contour and the Focus were pathetic attempts at performance cars.

The Cobra and Lightning actually made decent power and had beefed up everything.

Just my .02

Plus, what would you call the contour? It's a 4 door sedan FFS, it cant really have a "cool" name like Cobra or Lightning.

What are you doing on a Contour board with a post like this? Just asking.

Umm did you see the other cars that came out in 1998? the SVT Contour (not Contour SVT!) did very very well.

If I recall correctly, didn't the CSVT have the highest horsepower to cylinder ration of any NA built that year? That is saying something about it. Also it was built to be a great all around car not a freakin' drag car. If you wanted a drag car, get a cobra.

Because the Mustang and F-150 are the bread and butter of Ford and will always get better treatment. I guess since my Dad works for Ford, my family knows how Ford thinks. Fords thinking being that the Mustang and F-150 have kept the company alive for many years and are highly thought of more than anything else they manufacture.

I outran a mostly stock 93 Mustang GT (automatic) when I had my last CSVT. I can totally believe that a CSVT can outrun a stock 96-98GT as they were slugs....

No but you do always see the focus and contour abbreviated as fsvt and csvt.

Just because people do it doesn't mean it's accurate. The old official SVT site referred to the "SVT Contour" and "SVT Focus", as does the text and imagry on svtoa.com.

Back