• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Hazard Flashers?

Hmmm..... I also use them when I am waiting for someone to drive out of a parking spot so that I can get into that spot. Beats making those behind me trying to figure out what I am doing.
That's like stopping at a "T" intersection and putting on your hazards. Which way are you going turn? If the spot is on the right, use your right turn signal. If it's on the left, the left turn signal should suffice.
Karl

That's like stopping at a "T" intersection and putting on your hazards. Which way are you going turn? If the spot is on the right, use your right turn signal. If it's on the left, the left turn signal should suffice.
Karl
If you put your left turn signal on, nobody will pass you as they think you are going to turn left very soon. There are many times where the person takes a long to get out of the parking spot.

The hazards are the proper way to go when waiting for a parking spot to free up. Of course, you may not have parking issues at Rowland Heights, so you may not understand wanting to wait a few minutes knowing a parking spot will free up.

Lot stalkers I call them. I usually read a magazine while they wait. And while walking to your car keep changing directions like you cant find you're car. Great fun.

Jim T.

and if your hazards are on I'll call a tow truck for you.

Lot stalkers I call them. I usually read a magazine while they wait. And while walking to your car keep changing directions like you cant find you're car. Great fun.

Jim T.

and if your hazards are on I'll call a tow truck for you.
I hate you. :nonono: And I will now have to stalk you. :laugh:

If you put your left turn signal on, nobody will pass you as they think you are going to turn left very soon. There are many times where the person takes a long to get out of the parking spot.

The hazards are the proper way to go when waiting for a parking spot to free up. Of course, you may not have parking issues at Rowland Heights, so you may not understand wanting to wait a few minutes knowing a parking spot will free up.
Again, I must defer to the rules of the road. The very fact that they are called emergency flashers indicates that they are for use when there's an emergency. Staking out a parking place at the mall hardly qualifies as an emergency I'm afraid. Check out page 29 of our owner's manual: "For use in an emergency to warn traffic of vehicle breakdown or approaching danger." Does your situation fit into either of those catagories?

Here in Rowland Heights, which has probably one of the largest immigrant Asian communities, we don't need no more stinkin' confusion than we already have. I don't know what the driver's schools are teaching these people but they are, for the most part, already timid and confused enough. If people start making up they're own rules as to the operation of their vehicle's various features we are going to have total chaos on the road. Regarding your parking lot dilemma, I park away from everyone else so's not to get a ding from someone's S Class Merc who doesn't give a crap. :mad:

Also note that operating emergency flashers in a non-emergency situation is illegal in some states. To wit: http://www.scangwinnett.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=117872 If you read far down enough you'll see that they are not talking about emergency flashers (rotating lights, etc.) like on a police car. Your mileage may vary.
Karl

Again, I must defer to the rules of the road. The very fact that they are called emergency flashers indicates that they are for use when there's an emergency. Staking out a parking place at the mall hardly qualifies as an emergency I'm afraid. Check out page 29 of our owner's manual: "For use in an emergency to warn traffic of vehicle breakdown or approaching danger." Does your situation fit into either of those catagories?

Here in Rowland Heights, which has probably one of the largest immigrant Asian communities, we don't need no more stinkin' confusion than we already have. I don't know what the driver's schools are teaching these people but they are, for the most part, already timid and confused enough. If people start making up they're own rules as to the operation of their vehicle's various features we are going to have total chaos on the road. Regarding your parking lot dilemma, I park away from everyone else so's not to get a ding from someone's S Class Merc who doesn't give a crap. :mad:

Also note that operating emergency flashers in a non-emergency situation is illegal in some states. To wit: http://www.scangwinnett.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=117872 If you read far down enough you'll see that they are not talking about emergency flashers (rotating lights, etc.) like on a police car. Your mileage may vary.
Karl

And im sure you always keep your hands at 9 and 3, never speed, always leave 2 seconds of space bewteen you and ther person ahead, etc etc etc.

.... Check out page 29 of our owner's manual: "For use in an emergency to warn traffic of vehicle breakdown or approaching danger." Does your situation fit into either of those catagories?

Check page 86 of the 1996 Owners' Manual. Download a copy free at www.fleet.ford.com

"The hazard flasher serves as a warning to other drivers to be careful when approaching or passing your vehicle."

No mention of "For use in an emergency" (ONLY) "to warn traffic of vehicle breakdown or approaching danger".

...Also note that operating emergency flashers in a non-emergency situation is illegal in some states. To wit: http://www.scangwinnett.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=117872 ....
Karl

Misquoting a link.

The driver was ticketed for using the hazards as a substitute for non- operating rear lamps. In essence, he/she was ticketed for not having working rear lamps.

From link.
"That is not what he said. He said he would pull the vehicle over for suspicious behavior (possible signal for help) not for driving with his HAZARD lights on. Most of the time I see someone driving with their hazard lights on it is because they have no tail or brake light which is illegal."

Last edited:
Pretty much any time you are MOVING with your hazard lights on you're telling the world that you're a tool. If you're vehicle presents a HAZARD to other vehicles (notice how the word "hazard" is seen twice?) ie, broken down, not moving or stuck in a lane, is when hazard lights should be used. You're slowing down for some reason?, thats what BRAKE lights are for. Dark out you say?, thats what HEADLIGHTS are for. It's raining too hard for you?, get the hell off the road and then put you're HAZARD lights on. Not drive with them on.

Jim T.

Pretty much any time you are MOVING with your hazard lights on you're telling the world that you're a tool. If you're vehicle presents a HAZARD to other vehicles (notice how the word "hazard" is seen twice?) ie, broken down, not moving or stuck in a lane, is when hazard lights should be used. You're slowing down for some reason?, thats what BRAKE lights are for. Dark out you say?, thats what HEADLIGHTS are for. It's raining too hard for you?, get the hell off the road and then put you're HAZARD lights on. Not drive with them on.
Jim T.

Up around here, especially in the more rural areas, people tend to turn their hazards on when it's snowing like a bugger. Can really throw you off if you come up on someone going slow. A couple times I have come up on someone like that and thought they were on the side of the road.:nonono:

Up around here, especially in the more rural areas, people tend to turn their hazards on when it's snowing like a bugger. Can really throw you off if you come up on someone going slow. A couple times I have come up on someone like that and thought they were on the side of the road.:nonono:
EXACTLY why you should not do that. It presents a false sense of what your vehicle is doing relative to other drivers and it can be dangerous. If you cannot drive in the existing conditions get as far off the road as you can, stop the vehicle and THEN put the hazards on.
I don't know when drivers started this assinine trend.

Jim T.

Hazards..

Hazards..

Hey I thought I would throw this in. Here in Texas if you are on a 2 lane road, you can pull over on the huge shoulders we have down here and let the speeder by.

They will flash their hazards to say, "Thank you". I would rather let them by anyway, cuz' they are a hazard to my rear bumper!

(Even the state troopers around here do that. They drive 55 in a 70... then after say 5-10min, they will pull over and let everyone by. I tried passing them once, and got a ticket. They put on the ticket "Unsafe passing". I was passing them at say 65 on a 5 mile straight stretch, nobody coming. Oh ticket was "all other offences: $235". Fortunately it didn't stand up in court. I think after I said "yes sir" to the woman officer, I lost all chances of getting out of that one!):blah:

Check page 86 of the 1996 Owners' Manual. Download a copy free at www.fleet.ford.com

"The hazard flasher serves as a warning to other drivers to be careful when approaching or passing your vehicle."

No mention of "For use in an emergency" (ONLY) "to warn traffic of vehicle breakdown or approaching danger".
My only response to this is that someone got smarter in the two years these two manuals (mine's a 98) were written! :cool:

Look, this can be debated ad nauseam. My concern has been and always will be that people stop making up their own rules. Keep it simple. Why should everyone have to guess what a person's intentions are? I guess folks will just have to get ticketed or into an accident before they realize this. :shrug:
Karl

Actually, now that I think about it, a lot of truckers use the flashers when they are climbing hills and going very slow.

As for the flashers and the snowing thing, I don't mind much, just when the car is going VERY slow. (talking like 5-10 Klmtrs. - if your going that slow you shouldn't be on the road/driving at all) I'd rather see the flashing light from afar than see it up close and personal after I ran into the car.

Putting on your hazards on an Autobahn signals the drivers behind you that a Stau (traffic jam) is ahead. I don't think it's a law, just common courtesy.

VERY useful when the Stau is in an unlimited speed zone, around the corner from you... I've came up on them going way-faster-than-allowed-to-post-here and had to stand on the brakes, coming maybe a few feet from the car ahead.

If I am coming up on a slow-down or jam I tap the brakes a few times to get the attention of the driver's behind me. Seems they notice the flashing brake lights more than if I was just to stand on them.

From Mondays Tampa Tribune qouted from the Florida drivers handbook.
Question #2. Should drivers turn on their flashers during heavy rainstorms?

A) Yes, to alert drivers behind your vehicle

B) No, flashers should be used during emergencies only.

The answer is B.

Rain is NOT considered an emergency, merely a driving condition.

Jim T.

Back