• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

??? Molding a Mirko and skirts ???

ELECTRO

CEG'er
I've already searched CEG for as much info as I could on molding a Mirko. There's not all that much info that I found. I'm sure I could have missed something.

Anyway... I slipped my Mirko on just to dry fit it, and it actually fits horribly in my opinion. I'd really like to mold it, but I don't have Ninja glass skills. :help: Can anyone give me an idea of what kind of difficulty level I'd be looking at to mold my Mirko on? How much time would it take? Is this something I really don't want to tackle unless I know what's going on? If I shouldn't do it myself, does anyone know how to do glass work that lives in the Southwest (TUCSON, PHOENIX, ETC.)?

I was also thinking about molding my side skirts. If I'm going to mold and paint the front bumper, I figure why not go ahead and mold my skirts and repaint them as well. Any ideas, suggestions, or opinions?

In for answer.

Would the jack covers still be able to come off? I think it would be awesome to have those molded together too.. but then you have a problem jacking the front of the car up because you can't take the mirko off :laugh:

In for answer.

Would the jack covers still be able to come off? I think it would be awesome to have those molded together too.. but then you have a problem jacking the front of the car up because you can't take the mirko off :laugh:

When I say "molding the side skirt," I mean specifically modling in the jack covers so you can't even tell the side skirt had jack covers. It should look like all one piece.

When I say "molding the side skirt," I mean specifically modling in the jack covers so you can't even tell the side skirt had jack covers. It should look like all one piece.

And what he was saying, would u be able to lift your car after you molded everything together? Hes asking you this question. I bet he was trying to make you think a little bit about the consequences.

If you mold everything, there won't be any room to get a jack under the car to lift it when needed. Like a flat tire or oil change etc.

Good luck we all have seen a molded mirko, but people passed on the molded side skirts. Having both would be a headache to deal with.

I know it has consequences.... I owned a nissan 240sx that had about 4 inches of clearence on the front (if that much), and it had side skirts that were aftermarket.... which meant there were no 'jack plates'. You just have to use a different type of jack and if you do get a flat tire, it's a pain in the A$$.

It does look super sweet though :shocked:

So does anyone have any fabricating suggestions or answers about the difficulty etc?

PS, thanks for the suggestion about keeping the jack points accessible. I'll definately keep it in consideration.

nobody has any experience with doing the body work themselves??? This is hard to believe. I know someone has an idea of what's up...

Don't know jack about molding, sorry. But I have seen a few folks that attatched their molded mirko/bumper on w/ Dzus fasteners so that it can be removed easily. Check out the Northeast forums for Carlisle pics. I think both Luca and someone else had it done like that.

Don't know jack about molding, sorry. But I have seen a few folks that attatched their molded mirko/bumper on w/ Dzus fasteners so that it can be removed easily. Check out the Northeast forums for Carlisle pics. I think both Luca and someone else had it done like that.

close, the mirko are not molded but Luca and I are both using dzus fasteners to mount the mirko to the bumper

Oops, I had thought they both came off. Sorry, too many beers in the hot sun that day.:laugh: Still looks cool though, as well as being practical.

Oops, I had thought they both came off. Sorry, too many beers in the hot sun that day.:laugh: Still looks cool though, as well as being practical.

they both do come off, thats the idea of the dzus fastener, aka quarter turn fastener ... very practical if you get into a spot and have to pull the mirko off the car fast ...

they both do come off, thats the idea of the dzus fastener, aka quarter turn fastener ... very practical if you get into a spot and have to pull the mirko off the car fast ...

Everyone has been using those for the last 6 years. They are the best thing to use on a mirko in all most every situation. Like brapple said its a half a turn.

I know i have for the last 3 years.

Nobody has doen this molded mod. Its just stupid and pointless. It's not worth limiting your self on access to the underside. Because you don't like a few seems in the side skirts.

Mirko Quality Control Issue

Mirko Quality Control Issue

So I just tried dry fitting my Mirko today. Needless to say, I'm extremely disappointed. While I was trying to fit it up, and with not much force at all, my thumb cracked into an air bubble. After I started scowering the Mirko closely, I'm seeing air bubbles and stuff stuck under the gel coat all over the place. :mad: Not only that, but the splitter really doesn't fit my EXTREMELY stock front bumper at all. The edges don't match up, and the part that is supposed to follow the shape of the drivers side fog light lip wasn't even trimmed in a smooth line.

I called and left a message much earlier today but haven't heard anything back from Mirko Racing. I sure hope they're willing to help me out on this, because up to this point I can't say it's been worth my 300 dollars... Not even CLOSE! :nonono:

Has anyone else had problems like this with their Mirko?

i got a set like that

there not the ones on my car .they are a set i inherited fron a doner mystique i have in my buddies garage

If you have SFC's you have no use for the jack point covers. I was gonna do it.

ah got it .ya you just gotta bare with me steeda i only understand gangster:laugh:

Last edited:
Back