• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Having a few problems

Drink

CEG'er
1st off, i'm kind of new here. I been reading topics for the past few months, but this is my first post.

I have a small list of problems with my car (96 Mercury Mystique Duratec with 105k).

My CEL is on, i dont have the codes on hand that this time, but i'm getting misfiring on cylinder 4&5, Low EGR flow, Bad cats (bank 1 & 2).

One of the main problems i have driving is hesitation.

I've tryed B12 which does lower the hesitation alot, but then its back the next day. Also the hesitation isnt as bad when i use high octane gas.

From what i read on the forums, i think i need new spark plugs, maybe a UIM cleaning, and something called "mil eliminator".

Any help would be great, if more info is need just let me know.

Last edited:
If i was you i would have the codes checked.. come back here....

and if you have bad cats.. either gut them or get replacement ones or get headers...

get new plugs

Get Mil eliminators..

clean your lim.

clean your egr.

You should be good too go.. Just maybe..

i'm working on getting new plugs now.
i have a few ?'s

is there any performance difference between autolite double platinum and OEM Motorcraft?

can you/someone give me a working link to buy Mil eliminators

and how would i go about clean my EGR (or should i just have it replaced)

i'm working on getting new plugs now.
i have a few ?'s

is there any performance difference between autolite double platinum and OEM Motorcraft?

can you/someone give me a working link to buy Mil eliminators

and how would i go about clean my EGR (or should i just have it replaced)

I just take mine off and spray some brake parts cleaner in thurrr. and ive got 140k now..

Just stick too the double platts..

Get on ebay and type in mil eliminators for ford.

Mil eliminators do nothing but trick the PCM in to thinking that you have a working/non-clogged cat.

If you install them without ACTUALLY unclogging or removing your cats, you will gain NO performance increase, NO regained gas mileage, and NO other positive benefits, with the exception of your CEL not coming on for the cats, any longer.

Just because the light no longer illuminates, doesn't mean that you don't have the problem.. it just means that you don't know about it. you have to actually REMOVE or unclog your cats as well, to get any performance or positive results from this.

i know the problem will still be there, my thing is that i have to get inspections next month

not to sound like a cheapskate, but what would be the cheapest way to handle this?...removing the cat, unclogthing them, or Mil eliminators

you just reminded my of a qeustion i forgot to ask...
i read around the forums, and most of u guys get around 20+ MPG. i'm lucky to get 16 MPG in the city

could the problems i been having coincide with my low gas mileage?, if not, what can i do to improve it?

i know the problem will still be there, my thing is that i have to get inspections next month

not to sound like a cheapskate, but what would be the cheapest way to handle this?...removing the cat, unclogthing them, or Mil eliminators

you just reminded my of a qeustion i forgot to ask...
i read around the forums, and most of u guys get around 20+ MPG. i'm lucky to get 16 MPG in the city

could the problems i been having coincide with my low gas mileage?, if not, what can i do to improve it?
Unless they don't do a sniffer test where you live, "fooling" the CEL isn't going to buy you anything. You'll have to fix the problem to pass the inspection as well as get your gas mileage back.
Karl

Misfire is likely plugs and wires, and if it has happened a long time, clogs catalysts. Motorcraft double plats and set of new Motorcraft wires, carefully installed using silicone grease in the boots and connectors should help. Use a Clean socket when installing the new plugs, or you might still misfire from carbon tracks, happened to me.

Low EGR flow is carboned up passages in the intake manifold, car should still run OK.

See how it runs with new wires/plugs. If you hear a "hiss" while driving, those cats are melted or broken inside. If the car runs good, clear the codes.

does anyone have any tips for removing the EGR valve?
i can get the bolts off, but thats as far i can get:shrug:

also, what plugs would you suppjest

Autolite Ignition Spark Plug Wire Set: Professional Series
part: 96644

Autolite Ignition Spark Plug Wire Set: Pro-Fit
part: 86644

Last edited:
does anyone have any tips for removing the EGR valve?
i can get the bolts off, but thats as far i can get:shrug:

also, what plugs would you suppjest

Autolite Ignition Spark Plug Wire Set: Professional Series
part: 96644

Autolite Ignition Spark Plug Wire Set: Pro-Fit
part: 86644
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...8658&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=186&fpart=1 for the spark plugs. Are you doing much searching on this site? Also, you really should get the Ford service CD available on this site or at the very least a Haynes or Chilton manual for these cars.
Karl

Last edited:
update...if anyone reads this

i did the "suck test" as posted here

the car stumbled, meaning the EGR works and is clear

my next guess is a bad DPFE sensor (the hoses look fine)

my question is, what is the part number for a DPFE sensor for my car

I would think any Ford/Lincoln/Mercury dealer or other parts store would know the answer to this question. :confused:
Karl

i was hoping to buy it online and i needed the part number to make sure i was buying the right thing...:rolleyes:

i was hoping to buy it online and i needed the part number to make sure i was buying the right thing...:rolleyes:
Sorry but you'll eventually have to get off your butt and do a little leg work once in a while. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: back at you!

Maybe to get to a phone and call Bill Jenkins? You might even save some money AND get the right part. :idea:
Karl

Back