• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Trunk lift struts

svthawk

New CEG'er
I have a 99 svt.

Will the lift struts for applications w/spoiler work properly? For some reason, they are half as expensive as the lift struts for cars w/o spoiler.

Thanks

Yes, they will work fine. I just put some new ones on my car.

They are stronger so the trunk needs a little more force to shut, but won't cause any problems at all.

I bought the spoiler ones for the same reason; cost on the non-spoiler struts is more expensive.

Ok! Got trunk lift supports and have removed the front clips fromt he struts. How on earth do I reach the back ones? I can't see them and the towers seem to be in the way.

Insert your fingers behind the strut tower, just behind the tower and before the seat. You will feel the end of the struts then use a small flat head or pick to unclip them.

It's a tight spot but it's not that bad once you feel it. There is no way possible to see in there so you have to do by feeling.

and believe it or not, they snap back in easier than they come apart?!?!?!
but it's true.

Yeah, takes a sec to pop them back on. Just keep the clips loose on the struts, then once they are on the ball, push the clip into place. They will not fit on if the clips are pushed down as you are installing them.

after struggling with this for ~30 min, thought I'd add my two cents... folding the seats down didn't help me at all. I had much better luck moving the side liners out of the way, and shining a lantern in. I'd catch the edge of the clip and jam it in to pop the clip off. The rest was cake. I got mine for ~$15 apiece from rockauto.com. warehouse in dallas = next day shipping for me = awesome.

Last edited:
Back