• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Waterpump belt tensioner

winty87

CEG'er
Welp, my car heated up suuuper fast last night so Alex thought it was the water pump...Today we found out that it was just the belt, but the tensioner might be on its way out. Put a new belt on and it was fine for the 30 min drive home tonight. After fixing my rear rotor and pads i went to take it for a spin but i heard a nice squeaking noise and a worse smell of burning rubber...I turn the car off, pop the hood and notice the belt on an angle and i can easily push the tensioner to where it should be holding the belt at...Its obvious I need a new belt and tensioner...How hard is it to change the tensioner? It looks like there is just one bolt holding it on. I didn't take a good look at it tonight cuz I'm frustrated and I have to get up at 6 to go to work tomorrow.

Erik

Yep its pretty straight forward. Make sure you have a smaller wrench to fit into the spot as the bolt backs out. Oh and take the belt off first :laugh:

Back