• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Thining of selling already.

Cobra_Jack

CEG'er
I've only had the SVT Contour a little over a month and I already have the itch to sell it... even after putting over $1,500 into it

I guess I was spoiled with my Explorer, big and roomy and best of all an automatic... driving a manual in traffic on the Dan Ryan sucks, and I've done that almost every day over the course of the last few weeks. 1.5 hours in traffic is not fun.

I dunno, but I'm seriously considering just selling the Contour after we move into the new house and getting something like an '98-02 GTP or even sometthing like a Lincoln LS... somewhere around $10K.

I bought the Contour because I wanted better gas mileage and wanted to take the difference between selling the explorer and buying the Contour to pay off the Cobra, which I did.

I guess I miss being able to drive with my knee while talking on the cell phone and sipping a grande mocha latte

Other things I've considered:

the main problem is manual trans is no fun to drive in stop and go traffic.
my wife can't drive stick, been trying to teach her.
and I'm not sure there will be enough room for a baby seat in the back (Baby on the way).

and wanted to take the difference between selling the explorer and buying the Contour to pay off the Cobra, which I did.

The above statement was very respectable. Then you said......

I guess I miss being able to drive with my knee while talking on the cell phone and sipping a grande mocha latte

Just went downhill after this... :blackeye:

Mark

The baby seat will fit. This is exactly why I got my SVT as the previous car I owned was a convertible rx7. It does not fit behind my seat but I keep it in the center anyways.

People get into the mindset that a car like the Contour is "too small" for having a child. It's not. Our stroller fits lengthwise in the trunk as well as sideways, so there's plenty of room back there still, and frankly, if you can't carry all your stuff in there, you've just got too much stuff. All you need is the car seat, a diaper bag in the floorwell where the car seat is, and a reasonably sized stroller. Forget the DVD player or all that dangly crap for the kid to bat at and just sing to him or her...they'd rather hear you than anything you can get on DVD.

Thining of selling already.

thinner?

thinner.jpg

It has nothing to do with being old as I am approaching 40. I just bought my svt and turned the 2003 sport trac over to the wife. Now she tries to get me to drive the sport trac for nonsense reasons so she can take the svt. I cannot imagine hating to drive a stick, as I am bored stiff in an automatic. I have 7 miles to work and it takes less than 15 min here in southern wv.

There's plenty of room for a carseat back there. We have another one coming in December so there'll be two and I did a test fit and there's still lotsa space. However, I agree with you on the traffic part. If you're in stop-and-go traffic for 1.5 hours every day a manual would be a *****. There's no question about that.

These are all pretty general reasons to me... you don't want a 5 speed compact. ;) Nothing SVT or Contour specific, really. Have you considered something like a Camry? Fuel efficient, big, practical... A Focus ZX5 would make a nice family carrier, they're fun, efficient and CHEAP. Nice contrasts to your Cobra. Shrug.

Personally, I'm going from ATX to 5 speed because it enhances the driving experience for me, especially in traffic -- ATX cars are so brutally inefficient in stop and go traffic, it drives me insane.

To each their own. Some people want daily drivers that fit like mittens and some people want cars that fit like gloves. :) I didn't like the Fusion because it felt like a mitten to me.

When it's time for a bigger car for us, we're most likely going to a Mazda5 since it expands just enough in just the right ways for our needs without going overboard. But at the same time, I've always thought a 500 would be a pretty decent non-minivan non-SUV big vehicle.

I think Cobra Jack needs an ATX (due to the ol lady and traffic jams). Never really been stuck in a jam until coming to Germany... and yes, a stick sucks in jams!

I wouldn't mind picking up a GTP... Saw a white one the other day, had a hood with dual scoops and rims, looked pretty hot IMO.

I went the other way. I moved from a 90 Mustang GT to a 96 Ford Explorer, and hated the way it wallowed in the curves (ok, like a truck), and got only 17mpg. It was great for highway trips but for daily driving it sucked. So after 6 months or so I traded it for the 98 Contour. And I got another Mustang, lol.

cant be worse than your cobra's clutch :shrug: ive had both and lemme tell you the cobra IS a workout! :help:

beyond that, i fit my daughter in the back seat just fine. i usually put her in the center. what REALLY sucks about putting babies in the back seat is the lack of light. cant see shiit back there at night. i was going to do the second dome light mod but never got around to it. im sure it would have made a world of difference though. the trunk was plenty roomy enough to put the stroller in. and the split folding rear seat always helps.

what did you you just sink $1500 into??

Back