• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Lighted spoiler

Aussie Ford

Hard-core CEG'er
Without taking my factory spoiler apart, not quite sure how the lights remove, I have never done that. Does anyone happen to know what number the bulbs are. OH & how to get them out too.

It's a bit of a story but the short version is I had to install the high mounted light, and I have hooked the spoiler lights to the tail lights, but I want to put some dimmer lights in the spoiler so it wont look like the brakes are on all the time.

I'll post pics later I think it looks good just a bit bright, and I'm not sure how they come out. I don't want to brake something fooling around.

Thanks for the help,
AF

Just throwing this out there....do you want the brake lights on the wing to be half lit when not braking (i.e. tied into the tails)? You could always tie it into the high mount 3rd brake so it only illumiates when the brake is pressed then it won't look like the brake is on all the time. If two 3rd brake lights is not the look your going for you could always unplug the high mount/remove the bulbs and leave the spoiler hooked up. Just some ideas. GL

Thanks, but I want it lit with the tails, I just want to find some lower wattage bulbs for it. If I can't perhaps I'll need to do something to the lamp reflectors or put sleeves over the bulbs to tone them down just a bit. I know this way it doesn't look like the spoiler came with the car, but it did, and it was either have holes in my package shelf cover or put the light in so I chose the cyclops.

I found the power wire to the spoiler light (O/Y) cut it past the splice for the cyclops, sealed off the hot end, and attached a hunk of similar wire to extend tthe connector side. I then ran it along the bundle up under the package shelf cover down the along the bundle that is under the rear seat bolster, made the turn at the Y for the rear lights bundle where it runs across the floor of the trunk. I found the tail light power wire (O/W) and slpiced the extended spoiler light wire to it at a convenient spot. No need to do anything with the ground wire. Done deal now it lights with the tails.

Of course to find the power wire I had unplugged the connector to the spoiler lights. When I thought I was done I turned on the lights to take a look and NOTHING....... that is until I plugged it back in ;)

Here is a some of pics:

Attachments

• PIC00012.jpg
    PIC00012.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 0
  • PIC00011.jpg
    PIC00011.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 0
  • PIC00010.jpg
    PIC00010.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 0
  • PIC00009.jpg
    PIC00009.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The spoiler lights are LEDs if I'm not mistaken. I highly reccoment you DON'T tie your spoiler break lights into your night running lights. No matter what you do it'll look like your braking all the time.

You are correct, they are LED's, but I have a couple of ideas kicking around about toning them down a bit.

Thanks for your thoughts,

AF

you cant tie them into the tails as the bulbs are only a one function bulb, only a high, not high/low, ex. thats the diff. between 1156/1157 the 56 are only one function(turn signal) and the 57 are 2(running lights/brake). in my focus they are w5w or 194, im not sure about the 'tour as my svt has no spoiler :cry:, id like to get on though

Your right about the bulbs, but there is no problem in tying it to the tail lights because I have the third light in the rear window too. That came with the package shelf cover when I installed the rear fold down leather seat. I either had to install it or have a hole there where it was. The spoiler lights are led's so they are what they are, a sealed unit. The lights in the high mount are bulbs #74's. If your looking for a spoiler I may have one. It is not a factory but very close and does not require a trunk strut change out. I got it off a 98 Mystique. PM me if interested. Did you look at the pic's? the lit up one is with the tail lights turned on.

Back