• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

HID flash when locking your car

imurdaddytoo sport

Veteran CEG'er
is it bad for the HID's if u hit the lock button , on the key, twice so the car honks and the lights flash. I know that its bad for them and hard on the ballast if you turn them off and on a lot. Would this be the same type of situation with the key remote lock button?

Yes, it's bad for them. Which components it's bad for, I can't say so I'll wait for someone else to chime in.

I make sure not to let mine flash anymore with the HIDs.

dont' worry about it.

mine didn't even flash when i did that. atleast i don't think they did.

You didnt need to worry about it because yours didnt flash. He should be a little more cautious. Is it going to cause nuclear meltdown if they flash? No, but dont make a habit of it

On the old board under Aesthetics, someone fooled around with the honk/flash. Think they were trying to make it flash for longer or make the turn signals flash instead, but found they could also disable it.

I can't be bothered to search, as it's past 7am here and I need some sleep (have to be up at noon... :blackeye:).

Mine don't flash when I lock and honk the horn.

Bet they do... it's a VERY short flash of the low beams and the 3rd brake light. Like 1/2 second or less flash. The lights are 'on' for the same amount of time as the horn is honking, if that makes any sense.

Don't believe me? Go do it, looking right into the headlight or 3rd brake light.

Bet they do... it's a VERY short flash of the low beams and the 3rd brake light. Like 1/2 second or less flash. The lights are 'on' for the same amount of time as the horn is honking, if that makes any sense.
Mine flashes my low beams and taillights, but I don't think the thrid brake light flashes. Weird :laugh:

I noticed it the other day about a week after I got HIDs, usually takes about 2-3 honks in a row to see the beams flash. So now I only press the lock button once so it doesn't honk.

Mine flashes my low beams and taillights, but I don't think the thrid brake light flashes. Weird :laugh:

I noticed it the other day about a week after I got HIDs, usually takes about 2-3 honks in a row to see the beams flash. So now I only press the lock button once so it doesn't honk.

If you hit it in a row enough times you can get most of the lights to flash (aside from the fogs, front marker lights, and high beams). :laugh:

If you hit it in a row enough times you can get most of the lights to flash (aside from the fogs, front marker lights, and high beams). :laugh:

yeah i mean the time it's on isn't enough to ignite the HIDs if you just do it once...whatever it is. not charging the ballast enough or whatever.

but it's not going to kill the lights.

glens are like 3 years old and they were used when i got em'

stop being so paranoid.

Don't believe me? Go do it, looking right into the headlight or 3rd brake light.

Its possible they do but I tried while it was pitch black outside and stared right into the headlights and didn't see anything.

to the OP, I've been running HID for some time now and when I set the alarm the HID's do not flash. My tail lights and 3rd brake light do but thats it. I only hit the lock twice though (1 to lock the doors and the other for the chirp). If you do this you will be fine as I had no ill effects and no HID flashing.

Now when I was running halogen bulbs IIRC my headlamps flashed. But since switching to HID they don't. I'm thinking the signal or amount of "juice" sent when hitting the chirp once is not enough to send a signal to the ballast and ignitor to light the HID bulb.

Cliff notes: hit lock twice only (one to lock and one to chirp) and you should be golden.

My HID's flash really bright if I hit lock twice. It's so quick that you would think it's all in your head and you're going crazy. :crazy:

Tony I assume goonz got you hooked up with a good harness. I think this is why most of the members who just plug the ballasts into the headlight harness dont see a flash.... its not getting the needed amount of power. With the right harness, the relay switches on instantly and the ballasts get the full 12v necessary.

Tony I assume goonz got you hooked up with a good harness. I think this is why most of the members who just plug the ballasts into the headlight harness dont see a flash.... its not getting the needed amount of power. With the right harness, the relay switches on instantly and the ballasts get the full 12v necessary.

Exactly what I thought.

My harness draws its power direct from the battery. 1 power wire per headlight, and 1 ground per headlight grounded to the chassis. The 9006 plugs serve only for the purpose of telling the ballasts when to turn on and off, but do not draw the needed 12 volts from the factory wires.

My HID's flash really bright if I hit lock twice. It's so quick that you would think it's all in your head and you're going crazy. :crazy:

Exactly what I thought.

My harness draws its power direct from the battery. 1 power wire per headlight, and 1 ground per headlight grounded to the chassis. The 9006 plugs serve only for the purpose of telling the ballasts when to turn on and off, but do not draw the needed 12 volts from the factory wires.

Well guys I guess it varies upon car to car b/c my harness is a very good one from Xenon Depot, it has the power wire, ground, relays, built in fuse, signal wire, etc. the whole 9. I also have OEM philips bulbs and ballasts. All this and I get no flash. I'm almost 100% I get no flash. Maybe I'll check again tonight. I think I'd notice though b/c it would almost be like a picture flash w/ how quick it would be.

Well guys I guess it varies upon car to car b/c my harness is a very good one from Xenon Depot, it has the power wire, ground, relays, built in fuse, signal wire, etc. the whole 9. I also have OEM philips bulbs and ballasts. All this and I get no flash. I'm almost 100% I get no flash. Maybe I'll check again tonight. I think I'd notice though b/c it would almost be like a picture flash w/ how quick it would be.

Ditto...and I bought the kit Goonz recommended to me, also...

Back