• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Outfit my truck

KingpinSVT

Hard-core CEG'er
Here's what I'm fairly solid on:

Headunit: Alpine CDA 9885 w/ipod control and XM
Backup: JVC KDBT1 (comes w/bluetooth, looks nice). Never seen one in person (which I always like to do. I liked the new Pioneers until I used that stupid massive 'joystick', I hate that thing)
Must haves: XM and ipod, bluetooth a bonus.
I have a double din dash, so I have room to play there (I want DD touchscreen, but that would almost double what I'm budgeting for this right now).

Subwoofer: I built a box for a shallow mount 10", but I've decided I don't need that much bass nor do I want to give up that much space (it came out very nice too, quite proud of it considering all the different contours I had to deal with getting it under the rear seat). I'm going for Kenwood KSC SW1. Will fit where I need it and has decent reviews.

Undecided on door speakers. I have 2 tweeter spots on the dash, 6x9's in the front door, and 6-3/4" in the back doors. I'm trying to stay at $100 or less for each pair. I am willing to bump a few bucks upward if the difference will be mind blowing. At this time I am not planning on running an external amp for them, and I don't think the future has that in store either. Could be components, or 2/3 ways.

I listen to mostly trance, house, etc. Rock/punk sometimes and rap rarely. I have an ear for crisp and accurate reproduction of highs, so my choice in door speakers is fairly important to me.

Tell me what rocks, or if what I've picked sucks. I have a double din dash, so I have room to play there (I want DD touchscreen, but that would almost double what I'm budgeting for this right now). Plus I might toss 2 gauges in the second din slot.

I'm far from an expert, but if your not gonna run an amp, don't go w/ components. They won't get enough power to justify the difference. Brands I've used and liked for speakers are MB Quarts, Infinity, Polk, and i am still a fan of Pioneer, esp for the $$$.

IMO, go for a set of MB Quarts, I've never heard a set that sounded bad. And you may want to think about an amp, even a lower powered quality amp will make a huge difference, esp. w/ the type of music your listening to. Just my .02. Good luck. :cool:

Personally, I would skip out on the rear speakers for right now and spend that money a used amplifier for the front speakers. You can get some quality amps on ebay for very cheap if you take your time and look around. One that would come to mind is the Sedona series from PPI. It's an old school amp built in PPI's hayday but it never really became that popular and the values are fairly low. However, it is a phenomenal product. I would probably go with either Infinity or Polk for the front doors. I'm running a set of Polk Momo 5X7's right now and I've been very happy with them. The Infinity kappa's are also very nice. I've owned MB Quart's in the past and they are hit or miss. In my car, they never sounded the way I hoped for but a friend of mine had the same set and they sounded nice in his car. The Quart tweeter can be fairly harsh if not positioned & tuned properly.

Well I appreciate you giving me something to consider. Maybe I'll hold off on the doors and do it right all at once.

I don't need the door speakers to be that great (amplified), but I feel comfortable that I would achieve good enough results by even replacing them with 2 ways. As I said, something to consider.

Well I appreciate you giving me something to consider. Maybe I'll hold off on the doors and do it right all at once.

I don't need the door speakers to be that great (amplified), but I feel comfortable that I would achieve good enough results by even replacing them with 2 ways. As I said, something to consider.

Here's one of the amps that I originally mentioned. If you're still considering an amp you should seriously consider this one, especially at that price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Precision-Power...ryZ39732QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Back