• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

No more mystique...

2000myst

Veteran CEG'er
for awhile anyway.

The transmission went today. Done, wouldn't even shift anymore. Basically the torque converter went and destroyed itself and the rest of the tranny. I barely got it to the dealer. Now, the dealer loves me, so they are talking to FORD about getting me a new one for free b/c of the low mileage.

At the max, its gonna be $3000 for a new tranny and labor. Im not sure what Im going to do now. Kind of sucks. Im not really happy right now.:cry: :mad:

what to do, decide how badly you want to keep the car then either pay for the repair or junk it based on how you feel. take a few days to think about it ...

make some calls around to local tranny shops...im sure they can do a lot better than $3K!!! you seem to love that car man, id hate to see it go down cause a dealer tried to F you on a tranny job

ATX->MTX conversion? :) A lot more work than replacing the ATX though of course.

That's a wicked nice dealer to even consider talking to Ford about warranty work. Where are they?

ahh man that sucks, Dan!

if you're thinking ATX-MTX swap, see this thread:
http://www.newcougar.org/forums/showthread.php?t=112237
(it's from the SVT he just got from the VT CEGer recently).

aircougar posts here. Send him a pm.

Will not worky. That MTX swap would be for V6 since the parts are from an SVT.

Dan, that really sucks. These POS ATX's really scare me. I worry about our Mystique all the time. Never know when it's going to kick the bucket and the value of the car is so low that I'd probably wouldn't be worth repairing.

Well, here is what Trans-medic quoted me at, they are a reputable shop, my dad has used them before, but for nothing major like this.

approx. $2800- New tranny, full install, 3 year warranty
approx. $2200- Rebuilt, Installed, 1 year warranty
approx. $1000- Used Tranny, I buy, they install, Warranty only from junkyard

I brought it to the dealer after i went to trans-medic and they will be looking at it tommorrow. However, it barely made it the 7 mi to the dealer, i had to baby it b/c it wouldn't shift and was very hard to drive, erractic revving, and i think something got burned somewhere, horrible smell.

The dealer said they already talked to Ford and they would pursue it, b/c the car wasvery well maintained by myself and the previous owner. All the routine maintenance was done to a T, so there is no reason why this would happen. I also didn't beat on it, I don't race it either.

Im positive the dealer will not charge me as much as the trans shop, but I'll be looking around for quotes or I might be buying a new car, I'm not really looking forward to that, I hope it doesn't come to that.

Back