• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Change of plans

my98SVTturbo

Hard-core CEG'er
ok I think my mind is set. I no longer want to get a turbo for the CSVT. I dont have the funds for it now and I dont know how well it would hold up on the tranny and axles. So im gonna start saving up for a 03-04 SVT cobra coupe"terminator" for when i turn 18[but keep the CSVT as well :) ].(1.5 years from now....would have gotten it now since i have 2 jobs and could afford the monthly payments and insuraance but, all the loan`s require you to be at least 18.)

WHat do you guys think of my plan?

Last edited:
Yeah being 18 helpls alot but you'll more than likely need a Co signer still since you have no credit established..Now if you wanna do it on your own apply for a credit card put some money on it and pay off do this for awhile..My oldest cousin did this to establish some sort of credit..Cobra's are very nice and very pricey

well, if you save up for a year and half, hopefully you will have enough to get it. Have you checked out what insurance would cost you? For my freinds 98 v6 stang he is paying $235 a month for full coverage. No accidents, no tickets, and he is over 25. He did call around as well for the best price and that was it. On the other hand I am only paying $63 a month for full coverage on the CSVT.

I think you need to hang out with tourige more.

Yea no kidding.

Seriously, your not going to be able to afford it. Once you grow up you will realize there is much more to life than just cars.

Do the smart thing and DONT get in debt at 18. It is a very bad way to start your life off.

Put some money away, dont mod the contour if you dont want it. Then get a decent car like i am (96 Mystic Cobra) Keep your investments and then keep saving for a house.

Just what i've learnt over the past 2 years.

Indeed. Simplicity can enhance your life greatly. Stick with the one car -- much more relaxing, and will allow you the freedom to do other things. I certainly don't mean to sound like an old goat, but look at my signature -- I put $11,000 into that SHO, plus the cost of purchase, and made a really great car. However, supporting both her and the SVT was just too much. With only the SVT, I can concentrate on enjoying my car and taking great care of her, with lots of time and money left over. :cool:

well, if you save up for a year and half, hopefully you will have enough to get it. Have you checked out what insurance would cost you? For my freinds 98 v6 stang he is paying $235 a month for full coverage. No accidents, no tickets, and he is over 25. He did call around as well for the best price and that was it. On the other hand I am only paying $63 a month for full coverage on the CSVT.

That is nuts.. he is getting Raped.

I am 25, 1 speeding ticket on record (82 in a 70 in montana.. out of state for me being in MN)
1 Accident

I have a 94 Lumina 77 Mustang 98 CSVT and a 77 F150 on my insurance

Full coverage on the CSVT($100 Deductible), Liability with glass coverage. I pay a total of $174/month. ($0 Deductable)

Owning multiple cars can make a lot of sense. In Ottawa, winter is brutal on our cars. My SVT has very little corrosion, so I'm probably going to keep driving a winter beater.

I also believe that a combination of a daily driver and enthusiast car can be beneficial. Daily driving can really beat on your car -- poor roads that you need to drive through, parking lots, hot slow moving bumper to bumper freeways, etc.. It makes sense to me to protect the investment in an enthusiast vehicle and save it for the roads you want to drive on and the nice trips, not the pot-holed path to the grocery store. I have no commute, so it doesn't make sense for me to run two vehicles at the same time.

Personally, I don't think it makes sense to ever go into debt to purchase a car. I have had great success maintaining cheap used Contours -- that drive like new.

I dunno how the weather is ian maryland, but I had the same idea recently. Well, except i wasn't gonna finance the car, i was gonna buy it outright.

It just wouldn't be practical...especially with gas @ $3.50 a gallon and only probably gonna go up. Plus, i dunno how much you're gonna put down...but the cars are holding their value pretty well. Especially modded ones. You can expect to be making $400 or more in payments...plus insurance which will be pretty high for you.

All in all, it wouldn't be worth it. Start with an older mustang, or save enough to buy the car outright if you absolutely have to have it. But if you guys get snow i wouldn't even bother...unless you can afford 2 cars.

HAHA...good luck. in a year or so, the cars will still be atleast $25K for a nice one. And on top of that, your insurance will be crazy expensive. AND!!! any 18 year old driving a car like this will either destroy it or themselves...its just not a good idea...mind that this is comming from a 17 year old who's dream car is a Terminator Cobra. I would not let myself get one until i am much older and more mature.

imo it's just not a practical car for a daily driver. especially if where you live is anything but warm and sunny.

25k, maybe...i was gonna buy a lightly modded 03 for $23k. but of course that wasn't a dealer price, nor does it include loan interest.

Either way, you should look at getting something less powerfull like an SN95 Cobra or an 02+ GT, that way you learn how to drive a RWD car with a decent amount of power.

You will probably crash an 03 Cobra if you go from a Contour to one.

HAHA...good luck. in a year or so, the cars will still be atleast $25K for a nice one. And on top of that, your insurance will be crazy expensive. AND!!! any 18 year old driving a car like this will either destroy it or themselves...its just not a good idea...mind that this is comming from a 17 year old who's dream car is a Terminator Cobra. I would not let myself get one until i am much older and more mature.

That is what others told me when i bout a 1990 mustang gt back in 1995. Too much power my a$$. I never got any accidents or tickets. The power is in the eye of the beholder. If your a well grounded person, then you will understand when or when not to exercise a cars capabilities.

I do understand what your saying though. I have heard and seen many crash nice cars. Only because there parents didn't guide them early in life to make good decisions.

Last edited:
Its a good thing you werent pre-emptive and like named yourself like someone who had a turbo car.

Your aspirations are nice, but impractical.

im not so much worried about him not being able to handle the car, i'm just making the point that the car is going to be ALOT more expensive than he thinks it's gonna be...and spending most of the money you make on a car just isn't worth it.

Back