• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Fog Light upgrade

tigerpwr

CEG'er
My 98 4cyl Lx didnt come with any options, but I picked up a set of foglights and a stock headlight switch with the foglight control. My question is what do I have to hook up to make the fog lights work on the stock switch? Will I have to run my own wiring b/c I can't see any stock fog light harnesses near the bumper?
:confused:
Also, is it necessary to put in a relay for the fog lights?

My 98 4cyl Lx didnt come with any options, but I picked up a set of foglights and a stock headlight switch with the foglight control. My question is what do I have to hook up to make the fog lights work on the stock switch? Will I have to run my own wiring b/c I can't see any stock fog light harnesses near the bumper?
:confused:
Also, is it necessary to put in a relay for the fog lights?

You have taken on quite a project there. First off I would suggest that you get a Ford CD for your 98 and see what wires go where. Yes you will need a relay and I suppose you could use the one that comes with your kit or be brave and use a factory one. Just replace the switch for the head light switch. You will need to know the pin out for the stock headlight switch, and a wire w/ the proper pin to slip into the connector. Maybe two as the power for it may need to be run also. A little tinkering will make it all work and don't forget the indicator light :laugh:

I thought about doing this on my 95, but it got to be so much work that I just installed the factory setup, but I have no good sense anyway.:crazy:

Keep in touch as you do this and we can answer the questions that will come up.

Regards,
AF

you may be lucky (although your comment about not having any wire harness near the fogs makes me doubt it) and already have the harness and relay. back when my dad and i installed them in my moms 96 she had everything except for the fogs, the proper switch, and the indicator lamp. she even had the wiring for the lamp and the harness :shrug:

So im thinking that the stock fog light switch will control the "switched" terminal on the relay?

There are no wires for fog lights, unless they are tied up in the fenders :crazy:, but I doubt it because the wire loom that I pulled the fog lights from on the donor car went into the harness where the horn and parking lights go on the drivers side.

I guess Ford went cheap on the 98 redesign...I had to put in a dual horn from a Lincoln because the single high note was too wimpy.

I'm fairly proficient with soldering stuff, so wiring should not be a problem. I just need to know which wire to tap into.
Thanks

you got it about the relay is a relay, is a relay..... I'd use the stock one since it mounts so neat under the dash. The switch should work just fine too, but on the 98 the fog light indicator light is in the instrument cluster and getting that one to work might be a trick. It comes through the connectors on the rear of the panel. One could sort that out just take some thinking. Then you would just have to run the wires out to the lights and throw in some power. From most appearences they would look like factory mods. & UR good to go..... :laugh:

Back