• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Temperature Sending Unit

LGR Mystique

CEG'er
Can someone tell me where i can find the temperature sending unit that controls the temp. gauge in the cluster. Reason being i got a set of gauges and one of them is the "Water Temperature" and i need to remove the old sensor to install the new one. Thanks

it's a duratec 2.5 V6....is there any way i can hook up the aftermarket temp. gauge without remove or disarming the old one?

Last edited:
is there any way i can hook up the aftermarket temp. gauge without remove or disarming the old one?
Yes, you can......but the risk of making a mistake or the trouble and work you have to go through makes it not worth doing it.

You would have to find a "spot" close to the present one. Drill and tap the gauge in. Then you would have to find another spot on the dash for your aftermarket gauge. Note there is also "calibration" of some sort to be done. In addition, it would not be as accurate as the stock design.

i suppose it depends on what kind of sender the other gauge uses. i believe the v6's use a single wire to the sender (the zetecs use two wires) and if the other gauge uses a single wire sensor, could he not tap into that wire and use the existing sender for both gauges? just a thought. also as far as placement goes they do offer the a pillar gauge pods. :shrug:

the sensor for the gauge has to have wiring. the sensors either have a single wire or two wires. do you already have the new gauge and is it a kit?

ok, i looked at the web site, according to the instructions it is a mechanical unit. what you can do it locate your temperature sending unit, i can locate it on the parts computer tomm. and repost or someone els out there can post it before that, anyway. remove the sensor, take that sensor and your new sensor down to a hardware store and try to locate a brass t. once you describe what you are after they should be able to help just fine. then you can install both sensors in one port and keep both gauges. :laugh: p.s. since you will be taking things apart and you want them to seal up good afterwards, while at the hardware store purchase some of the liquid teflon tape (in a tube) that stuff rocks and works 100 times better than regualr teflon tape. it will never leak. plus you will use it around the house for the next 20 years.

so isn't that the unit i should replace instead of the one behind the block?
Yes. Why did you replace the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (the one behind the block)?

Edit. From link previously posted on this thread.

.. Sender located below the red word "coolant."

You need to replace the coolant temperature gauge sender. This is the bronze looking thing below the "co" in the word coolant on the picture.

Edit. For the 1996, Autozone has it as Wells TU205 for the Temperature Gauge Sender (Switch). Have them check if this is the correct one.

Last edited:
Back