• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SPEC Problems

Spec Stage 3 I bought 3 months ago, Failed this weekend.
The Springs in the Pressure Plate Collapsed.
Also, like mentioned before, when shifting hard, Would need to let off and then back in order to engage the clutch.

There were no install issues. There were no real break in issues. Its a stage 3, takes a little getting used to.

the 120 Days is up this last weekend, Probably the day it failed.
I bought it from SVTCuervo and am Waiting a response from him (messaged him first thing this morning) Wanted to find the cause, before blaming the clutch or manufacturer.

Since i know it will be asked... The car was NEVER AutoCrossed, and was NEVER taken the dragstrip. Not before the New clutch, nor after.

Well i was partially right, the springs did fail. The springs in the clutch plate it self exploded out. The clutch is junk, and due to this, it also took out the Spec Aluminum Fly wheel.

The parts are on their way in, and I will post up pictures as soon as i upload them for all to see.

Now, keep in mind, this car was NEVER Raced. Not 1/8 mile not 1/4 Mile, no auto crosses. NOTHING but to and from school/work.

Crap - so I take it Ryan doesn't have an extra flywheel anymore?

Stock one.

The spec one is basically Destroyed.

As soon as he gets me picts, i am posting here, as well as emailing them to spec. The parts are on their way to spec, with the flywheel.

The flywheel was a little over tight, but that wouldnt cause the Spring in the clutch to grenade and decimate it.

Thats to bad - I wanted to know so when I do a clutch swap, I wouldn't have any downtime - but that may change. I guess my car leaks a smidgen of oil on the driveway - so that just may be enough for me to pull the entire engine to do a whole host of upgrades :laugh:

Spec CLutch Failed, Took out the spec flywheel with it

Spec CLutch Failed, Took out the spec flywheel with it

IMGP2917.jpg
IMGP2918.jpg
IMGP2920.jpg
IMGP2924.jpg
IMGP2903.jpg
IMGP2904.jpg

Wow... what a mess

here what happened to my stage 1 last summer, after only 2000km, spec did replaced it for free for a new one !

ive got the new one since a year now and everything seem perfect so far
IMG_7555.jpg

Joe it looks like you were sent the wrong part. either the flywheel, clutch plate, or the pressure plate was wrong. or it was installed incorrectly. it looks like the disk was rubbing on the flywheel everytime you disengaged it. it eventually wore through enough metal that 2 of the springs popped out.

do you have any pics of the other side of the clutch disk? who installed the clutch?

Clutch was installed by a friend. Other than over torqueing the flywheel, it looked fine. i will see if i can find one of the other side of the Clutch Disk.

it almost looks like the clutch was installed bacwards, but i think you would have noticed that when you removed it.

Back