• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Zetec Engine Question

96BlackSE

CEG'er
I have a 1996 zetec with a blown engine and was wondering if its possible to swap a post98 engine? I know there is something with the VCT and what not but I am not completely sure... :confused:

The reason that I want a post98 engine is that I can't find low milege 96 engines anywhere :(

If its possible to swap engines whats needed? Do I need the entire wiring + ECU to go along with it?

Thanks in advance!

You technically could with extensive work but in the end its pretty much pointless.. the Post 98 zetec (is still a good motor) but VCT is JUNK. pre-98 zetec is the better, simpler.. more reliable zetec.. IMO

sure you should be able to swap the enigne but I would use the pre98 head so you don't have to deal with the VCT and of course us all of the sensors from the original engine .... sounds alot like a 3L hybrid swap to me ...

dont forget you can also go with a 95 or 97 engine. the 97 engine should litterally drop in and go. the 95 you would have to change some sensors but otherwise its the same.

btw im rebuilding a 95 engine to put into my 97 'tour

There were basically four different zetec configurations. 1995 had the OBD-I sensors. 1996 and 1997 are the normal OBD-II silvertops, without VCT. 1998 and up have the black tops with VCT. Around late 1999 they switched over to returnless fuel system, which would require swapping the fuel rail.

All that you have to do to put a 98+ motor in a pre-98 is to bolt all of the EGR stuff back on from your 96. Leave the VCT solenoid and cam position sensors disconnected on the 98+ head.

In other words, put everything from the 96 on your new 98 motor. Intake, exhaust, accessory drive mounts, alternator, fuel rail, everything.

HTH,
BP

'97 silvertop ftw! The BESTEST Zetec. If it makes any difference, my old, 100K+ mile silvertop was running faster than most post-98's at the strip. Food for thought maybe?

All that you have to do to put a 98+ motor in a pre-98 is to bolt all of the EGR stuff back on from your 96. Leave the VCT solenoid and cam position sensors disconnected on the 98+ head.

In other words, put everything from the 96 on your new 98 motor. Intake, exhaust, accessory drive mounts, alternator, fuel rail, everything.

HTH,
BP

Excellent BP. Would you also suggest swapping the exhaust cam sprocket to get the fixed exhaust cam timing...?

It would be good insurance plus you'd gain the ability to use a cam gear for tuning.

I think that you should be fine with just the VCT solenoid disconnected. It will just always be at one extreme. The exhaust cam timing that is.

BP

Excellent BP. Would you also suggest swapping the exhaust cam sprocket to get the fixed exhaust cam timing...?

It isn't that simple. The VCT exhaust cam is shorter than the non-VCT cam. To eliminate the VCT actuator, you would need to get a VCT eliminator (solid disk that replaces VCT actuator inside solenoid valve body) from ZXTuner.com. This allows a stock or adjustable exhaust cam gear to bolt up.

Alternately you could get a non-VCT head and cams from a Focus or early Contour, but this is going to be a lot more work.

I didn't say it outright, but yes, putting on any type of cam gear on a VCT head requires a VCT delete. Sometimes I forget that there are actually newbies in here. ;)

BP

Back