• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Good source for Focal speakers?

ZenBoy

CEG'er
I'm finally going to replace my Boston Acoustics speakers with some Dynaudio or JL Audio speakers.

Does anyone know of a good source for either?

Last edited:
Ebay Listings like this http://electronics.search.ebay.com/focal_Car-Speakers-Speaker-Systems_W0QQsacatZ14936 or google Focal car speakers. What kind of Bostons are you running now?

Thanks, I meant besides eBay. :rolleyes: :laugh:

Currently I'm running Pro series 6.5" components in front, and Pro series 5.25" coaxials in back. The sub is a Comp series 10", which I occasionally consider swapping for a JL Audio one of these days. They'll all be up for grabs once I swap them out.

I was curious, more Focal research:

I was curious, more Focal research:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]What do you like and dislike about the Boston Pros which are much higher end that average? I have stock speakers=landfill material.

For US/Canada Dealers try: http://www.focal-america.com/Products/Others/Locator.html

I used to work at one of my local dealers!

I went to Focal's website in France, only distributor in US came up as:

Orca Design & Manufacturing Corp.

Car

804 Calle Plano Camarillo
CA 93012 California
(1)805 484 43 55
(1) 805 484 9008
info@focal-america.com
[/FONT]

You could get it from a web store overseas, I heard their stuff is less expensive in france (they are made in france).

BTW what line of product you are looking for (polyglass, polykevlar, utopia?)

Scratch all that - looks like all of their tweeters have gone to hard- and metallic-domed. That's exactly what I was trying to avoid. :nonono:

How about DynAudio and JL Audio? Any good distributors for them?

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]What do you like and dislike about the Boston Pros which are much higher end that average? I have stock speakers=landfill material.[/FONT]

What do I like? They have good, tight bass. The sound - both low and high - is very, very clear.

What do I dislike? My ears are particularly sensitive to the frequency ranges where the BA speakers are harsh off-axis. I've found that they do sound better when I'm directly on-axis, but unfortunately the mounts don't allow for a lot of repositioning and I'm not in a hurry to carve up the interior if I don't have to. Silk-domed tweeters have always sounded ... well, smooth as silk to my ears.

In my Contour, I had Pioneer Premier 6.5" components in the doors, both front and rear, and the sound was 100% better on the factory amp. Adding a 4-channel amp and subs cranked things to a whole different level.

Now I'm into more refined sound, though. 5 years ago I couldn't be bothered to spend the money on high-end car speakers, but now I guess my values have changed a bit....

Do the Pro series you have now use metal domes? The ones Boston has now look like they are metal. I heard MB Quarts, they sounded like metal. Ouch! The Pioneers you mention, were they the yellow ones? I was considering those once.

Scratch all that - looks like all of their tweeters have gone to hard- and metallic-domed. That's exactly what I was trying to avoid. :nonono:

How about DynAudio and JL Audio? Any good distributors for them?

Focal always had inverted metal dome tweeter in all their product line it part of the history of the company.

If you were looking at focal speakers I would not look into JL, they make good amps but their speakers are average. I would check about CDT, I heard the stuff and it sound great and built to last. If you need good prices just pm me I know the only official canadian distributor and he has great prices (way lower than ebay).

Do the Pro series you have now use metal domes? The ones Boston has now look like they are metal. I heard MB Quarts, they sounded like metal. Ouch! The Pioneers you mention, were they the yellow ones? I was considering those once.

Yes, the Boston Acoustics use aluminum-domed tweeters. Some people swear by them - I can't stand them myself. Personal preference.

MB Quarts have always been pretty bright; they use titanium-domed tweeters.

The Pioneer Premiers have black cones, but the tweeters are a graphite-based material, so again they're not silk-domed.

I've never heard of (or heard) CDT. Are they fairly decent? How would they compare with Dynaudio? Morel? Magnat?

Depending on the price you pay these are amazing speakers, if you pay full retail it's still a good bang for the buck just as a information I can have the ES-620 set of components for 425$US (tax inc) (retail 699$US) full warranty

I have a pair of 336is previous generation NIB. They have been waiting for a car that never seems to arrive.

See if you can find some locally to listen to. Perhaps mine would become available.

I have a pair of 336is previous generation NIB. They have been waiting for a car that never seems to arrive.

See if you can find some locally to listen to. Perhaps mine would become available.

Re-he-heally. I looked up some local a/d/s dealers, and there are two. Neither sound like they have any car audio (only home), but I'm going to see what I can find out.

Back