• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

subwoofer problem...please help guys

dSVTj

CEG'er
hey so i got and put in my subs today with my buddy's help. they started fine, but later that day i was driving and they let out a sustained deafening blast so i reached back and unplugged the audio wires from the amp. i was worried it may have been bad for the subs or amp. does anyone know what is going on? my car is a 98 svt my system includes:

-kenwood kas-719 amplifier
-10" pioneer subs
- sony cdx-gt510 deck (less than 2 months old)

obviously i'm new to this, so any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks guys

if this were the case would it have long term effects? i honestly havent been able to go out to mess with it since

any other ideas?

Turn all your adjustments on your amp all the way down and start to investigate. Agreed that the RCA's could be touching metal. I always wrap the connections in electical tape behind the deck as a fail-safe.

Turn all your adjustments on your amp all the way down and start to investigate. Agreed that the RCA's could be touching metal. I always wrap the connections in electical tape behind the deck as a fail-safe.

This is what I would do

Crimp caps work better... as for your amp, it sounds like reverb, did you set the rear out to sub woofer on the deck. So it is sub out instead of rear out. Best way to find out what's going on, start isolating areas. Get a buddy's car and use hook his RCA outputs to your amp... do you get reverb? or swap amps in your car, does the reverb continue? Slide your radio out and temporarily run some different rcas from the deck to the amp... just gotta start testing and see what is wrong...

i havent had trouble with it since that one time it happened. i hooked my rcas up to the rear outputs on the deck and its been fine. i did what you said right after it happened. i pulled everything out and taped up anything that could potentially touch. thanks for your help guys

make sure the rear outputs are set to sub, i think my deck is the same, it has 3 rcas, front rear/sub, and bus audio. if you have your manual it will tell you how to do it, or a quick way to check is tap the volume button, and go through the balance,fade etc. options, if sub is in there, with a plus and minus on one end then it is set up for sub, if not turn off the deck and hold the volume button until clock set comes up, tap volume untill it says rear/sub and turn it to sub. any more questions, just ask:cool:
Nick

Back