• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Low speed fan help

winty87

CEG'er
Not exactly sure where to put this,I also put this in general mod, but I'm getting my car back tomorrow and I needta have it working soon.

My low speed fan relay fuse just doesnt work and its 50 bucks to get one ordered plus whatever the dealership wants to sell it for so eff that. Reebs who I bought the car from said that some guys on here just wire in a switch so they can turn the fan on from inside the car whenever they want.

How do I do this? What gauge wire? Ya know lemme know, thanks guys.

Erik

The moderndino fix wont work for me because I don't have the relay fuse and the socket is melted from testing to see if the fan worked at all. And those sites don't even have the fuse I'm looking for.

To put my question more directly, Could I just run a switch to the inside of the car, mount it and hook it up to the 3 & 5 wires for the fuse so I can control when I want the low speed fan to come on or not?

...To put my question more directly, Could I just run a switch to the inside of the car, mount it and hook it up to the 3 & 5 wires for the fuse so I can control when I want the low speed fan to come on or not?
Not sure about the wire numbers but sure, you can definitely jump the radiator fan motor directly with wires and a switch inside the car.

are your trying to control the cooling fan with, say a toggle switch inside of the vehicle? i have never done this on a cdw27 but have on an old gm. if that is what you want to do then run an ignition only power source to the toggle switch, then run it our to a relay. one that is designed like a fog light relay but can handle the current for the cooling fans. then on the other side of that circuit you will run it to ground. then locate your power source for the cooling fan, run it to the relay and then of course run the the other side of that circuit to the cooling fan. then you can control the cooling fan by a switch. if this sounds confusing stop by an autozone, they usually have a brochure describing how a relay works and its easy from there to wire it up.

are your trying to control the cooling fan with, say a toggle switch inside of the vehicle? i have never done this on a cdw27 but have on an old gm. if that is what you want to do then run an ignition only power source to the toggle switch, then run it our to a relay. one that is designed like a fog light relay but can handle the current for the cooling fans. then on the other side of that circuit you will run it to ground. then locate your power source for the cooling fan, run it to the relay and then of course run the the other side of that circuit to the cooling fan. then you can control the cooling fan by a switch. if this sounds confusing stop by an autozone, they usually have a brochure describing how a relay works and its easy from there to wire it up.

What ain't no country I ever heard of. Do they speak English in WHAT?

But yes, I'm trying to control the Low speed fan by the flip of a switch from the inside of my car. I'll have to look into Autozone cuz that description is WAY over my head. I'm not the best at electronics shtuff but I'm 99% sure I could just wire in a switch.

All that might make more sense after getting the Autozone document. Basically, the dash switch turns on the relay, a "big switch", which connects the fan to power. Ignition source is 12 volts that goes on with the car running, so you won't accidentally leave the fan on and kill the battery. The socket should not have melted in testing a few times. Are you sure the fan motor works at low speed? The fusebox sockets or whole thing are replaceable, maybe from salvage yard.

What ain't no country I ever heard of. Do they speak English in WHAT?

Whoa! Steady on there winty boy! Mike was just trying to help. Not everybody is as good on the computer as ......And that is what happens when your hands do not type as fast with your brain thinks.

"Para el futuro, un rapidas te lo agradezco pero no seran suficientes!"

In the future, a quick thanks but no thanks will suffice.

Whoa! Steady on there winty boy! Mike was just trying to help. Not everybody is as good on the computer as ......And that is what happens when your hands do not type as fast with your brain thinks.

"Para el futuro, un rapidas te lo agradezco pero no seran suficientes!"

In the future, a quick thanks but no thanks will suffice.

Naw I wasn't being mean at all, He just threw a ton of info at me and yeah, i got lost.

whatever you do, do not wire the cooling fan direct through a toggle switch, it will melt the switch, unless it catches fire first???? thanks tony!

whatever you do, do not wire the cooling fan direct through a toggle switch, it will melt the switch, unless it catches fire first???? thanks tony!

Good to know cuz thats what I was going to do. So the relay thing from autozone would be the way to go?

ok, we are packing up to move to ohio so it took me awhile to find a relay so that i can better explain this. there are basically three different kinds of relays. i do not remeber the tech name for the relay you need but it is the style that works for fog light application. if you go to autozone or a parts store and start looking at relays, they all should have a diagram on the side or top. you are looking for a four terminal beast. it will have the numbers 30,87,85 and 86 on it. if you look close at the diagram on the side it will start to make sense. when you wire this you want an ignition power source to your toggle switch on the in side of the switch. you want the output wire of that to go to the relay, that will get wired into #85. then wire to a body ground (you should have your relay under the hood to play it safe). that body ground will go to #86. then you will wire your power for the cooling fan to #30. then wire #87 to your cooling fan motor itself. you will want to use at least 14 gauge wire for the cooling fan power and then from relay to the cooling fan. for the toggle switch and the 85 and 86 you can use a lighter guage wire say 16 or 18. what happens is when you turn the toggle switch on it will send power to 85 and it will find ground on 86. this will complete that circuit and when that happens it draws the inside of the relay closed to allow the power/current on 30 to go to 87 which leads to your cooling fan. does that make sense? it does work. if you are worried about anything wire and inline fuse between your power supply and terminal 30. i had no fear so i didn't. if you have any other questions keep the thread going or pm me. always glad to help when i can.:cool: also don't get fustrated if noe of this makes sense, print out my instructions and go to the parts store and try to locate something that matches the description. once you do it will start to come together.

ok, we are packing up to move to ohio so it took me awhile to find a relay so that i can better explain this. there are basically three different kinds of relays. i do not remeber the tech name for the relay you need but it is the style that works for fog light application. if you go to autozone or a parts store and start looking at relays, they all should have a diagram on the side or top. you are looking for a four terminal beast. it will have the numbers 30,87,85 and 86 on it. if you look close at the diagram on the side it will start to make sense. when you wire this you want an ignition power source to your toggle switch on the in side of the switch. you want the output wire of that to go to the relay, that will get wired into #85. then wire to a body ground (you should have your relay under the hood to play it safe). that body ground will go to #86. then you will wire your power for the cooling fan to #30. then wire #87 to your cooling fan motor itself. you will want to use at least 14 gauge wire for the cooling fan power and then from relay to the cooling fan. for the toggle switch and the 85 and 86 you can use a lighter guage wire say 16 or 18. what happens is when you turn the toggle switch on it will send power to 85 and it will find ground on 86. this will complete that circuit and when that happens it draws the inside of the relay closed to allow the power/current on 30 to go to 87 which leads to your cooling fan. does that make sense? it does work. if you are worried about anything wire and inline fuse between your power supply and terminal 30. i had no fear so i didn't. if you have any other questions keep the thread going or pm me. always glad to help when i can.:cool: also don't get fustrated if noe of this makes sense, print out my instructions and go to the parts store and try to locate something that matches the description. once you do it will start to come together.

That actually sounds pretty confusing to me because I'm not too electronics smart. I would have to see the diagram on the box along with step by step instructions. Pictures would help. I'm suposidly (sp?) getting my car back from the trans shop tomorrow so I'll buy that relay tomorrow and take it to my friends so he can help me out. But thanks for clarifying what to look for.

Back