• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

It WAS running fine...

SHOgoFast

Hard-core CEG'er
Okay, so all weekend at SZ my car was driving around just fine no major driveability or tuning issues.

After consulting with Warmonger and others I knew I would need to replace my PCV valve (the old one was not sealing at all), and get my valve cover vents which were venting to atmosphere plumbed back into the intake after the MAF and before the turbo. All seems simple right.

So Sunday after SZ I stop in Kzoo pick up a new pcv and all necessary parts to route the VCV appropriately. Job done in a quick 60mins. Now the car is a stall machine. It runs pig rich on the highway, will stall at lights if I do not feather the throttle, bucks like a wild horse at very light throttle cruising (1st and 2nd gear is terrible) I can get rid of the severe bucking if I get into the gas more.

I have now, as in this morning, redone all hose connections to eliminate vac leaks if they exisited there. Cleaned the MAF. I have reset the PCM, all to no avail. I am using the same tune(s) that were fine since the car got running. I am almost out of ideas.

Maybe a vac leak under the intake manifold, but I do not know how it would have manifested itself while sitting in a driveway undisturbed.

I am about to leave for work and will try venting the VCVs to atmosphere again just for the heck of it. The only thing I cannot completely rewind is the PCV valve as the old one is in a garbage can in Kzoo.

Any ideas?

Well when you were venting to atmosphere the engine was probably sacking air IN at part throttle and then blowing out air (and all that oil you saw) on boost. Hence Tom tuned it for that. Now, by reconnection the VC's to the intake you are no longer in the lean/unmetered air condition, so the fuel will have to be dialed back again

Well when you were venting to atmosphere the engine was probably sacking air IN at part throttle and then blowing out air (and all that oil you saw) on boost. Hence Tom tuned it for that. Now, by reconnection the VC's to the intake you are no longer in the lean/unmetered air condition, so the fuel will have to be dialed back again

I agree with this.
I have these lines ran back into my intake. I tried running my car with them to atmosphere and it did not like it whatsoever.

Car is back home now.

Stazi, Rawburt. Right now I am using Toms base tune which he made assuming they were plumbed back in. Also, I was/am of the belief that you could not make adjustments to the tune to account for those. I think Tom said he has only seen one ecu code that allowed an adjustment for venting those to atmosphere.

I hope you guys are right and when he takes a look at my stuff it is as simple as making some tune changes.

It feels like a vac leak to me, based on when my RFL bov was leaking last year. Same behavior. I just cannot find any. I redid everything this morning. There was a slight improvement as it will roughly hold an idle but still not as smooth as it was venting to atmosphere.

Not yet, but I will. Tom is looking at my files right now as well. I dont have much flexibility to mess with it right now as my DD is still sitting in MI until this weekend.

Give up! Grab a handgun and turn it into a shooting car. You'll feel better, and I can booze on the weekends instead of wrenching on your wheels. I think you fouled a plug or 6 since it was running pig rich all weekend. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Okay, so all weekend at SZ my car was driving around just fine no major driveability or tuning issues.

After consulting with Warmonger and others I knew I would need to replace my PCV valve (the old one was not sealing at all), and get my valve cover vents which were venting to atmosphere plumbed back into the intake after the MAF and before the turbo. All seems simple right.

So Sunday after SZ I stop in Kzoo pick up a new pcv and all necessary parts to route the VCV appropriately. Job done in a quick 60mins. Now the car is a stall machine. It runs pig rich on the highway, will stall at lights if I do not feather the throttle, bucks like a wild horse at very light throttle cruising (1st and 2nd gear is terrible) I can get rid of the severe bucking if I get into the gas more.

I have now, as in this morning, redone all hose connections to eliminate vac leaks if they exisited there. Cleaned the MAF. I have reset the PCM, all to no avail. I am using the same tune(s) that were fine since the car got running. I am almost out of ideas.

Maybe a vac leak under the intake manifold, but I do not know how it would have manifested itself while sitting in a driveway undisturbed.

I am about to leave for work and will try venting the VCVs to atmosphere again just for the heck of it. The only thing I cannot completely rewind is the PCV valve as the old one is in a garbage can in Kzoo.

Any ideas?

Hey, I did make a new tune for you this morning and sent it via email. Why don't we work on it for a few days and then we will see what is up.
Also, check those plugs and clean them if necessary.
You have to admit, pulling that stuff apart to change or plumb the PCV may also have created a new "leak" if you have old components or anything.
Also this new tune as an updated MAF transfer function for a Cobra MAF. Instead of me having to dial it in by hand like I did the last time, I now have a file.
Funny but the two functions are pretty close. See if this helps out a lot.

Last edited:
I think you should put your pants back on. :D

Off topic, but who among us hasn't been in the position to full monty a hotel receptionist at 5am with a high to quite high BAC? I mean really? Where's Elky? He knows exactly what I'm talking about.

Hey, I did make a new tune for you this morning and sent it via email. Why don't we work on it for a few days and then we will see what is up.
Also, check those plugs and clean them if necessary.
You have to admit, pulling that stuff apart to change or plumb the PCV may also have created a new "leak" if you have old components or anything.
Also this new tune as an updated MAF transfer function for a Cobra MAF. Instead of me having to dial it in by hand like I did the last time, I now have a file.
Funny but the two functions are pretty close. See if this helps out a lot.

Well, the new tune is much better, I think you are now using the Lightning MAF function as a part number search confirmed that is in fact what I have. It still runs pretty rich (10-11) but not pegged at 10.0. I still hunts for idle a little but I have NOT pulled plugs yet, maybe today. Only one stall since the new flash. I cant wait to get this intercooler problem fixed so I can really feel the fruits of my labors. hehe I dont think my tires want me to upgrade the intercooler though.

Well, the new tune is much better, I think you are now using the Lightning MAF function as a part number search confirmed that is in fact what I have. It still runs pretty rich (10-11) but not pegged at 10.0. I still hunts for idle a little but I have NOT pulled plugs yet, maybe today. Only one stall since the new flash. I cant wait to get this intercooler problem fixed so I can really feel the fruits of my labors. hehe I dont think my tires want me to upgrade the intercooler though.

Verify whether it is an 80mm or a 90mm please.

Back