• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Cleaning Intake Manifolds (Questions on the How To Article)

Bowerbird

New CEG'er
Re: http://contour.org/mods/mods.php?s=howto&displayid=43

I'm wanting to attempt this later today, but am a bit curious about some particular details.

The vacuum line... Does anyone know the exact dimensions required? Would I find sometime like this at Home Depot? Also, given that I'll be pouring solvents through it, will normal clear plastic tubing work? I don't want the tube to dissolve in my hands!

Also, will there be suction on the plastic tubing which will pull the cleaner into the engine?

Yes, there will be suction on the tube, hence the term "vacuum" tube.

Also, if you've got 40-50K miles or more, I wouldn't START by wasting money on an "on the car" method. I would do an off the car rebuild to remove the build up, then maintain the cleanup efforts with a "suction method" approach every other oil change, or maybe every third change.

Honestly, you are going to waste your time and hard earned money on this method if you don't actually clean them first.

Interesting, and thanks for the advice. It looks like I'll have to set aside some time to strip everything down. I have about 114K miles, and have only cleaned the UIM by spraying in carb cleaner/solvents with the air intake removed, as well as scrubbing the throttle body and so forth.

So now another question, if I'm going to be soaking the UIM/LIM in xylene and other hazardous chemicals contained in products like Berryman's, what do I do with the remaining liquid afterwards? Can I do something like take it to an autozone afterwards? I just don't want that stuff poured out on the ground. (Go figure seeing as how I work for the government in environmental regulation.)

Also, what do you think of commercial services such as those offered by Jiffy Lube that are designed to clean the intake manifolds, injectors, and so forth? I would guess that they aren't as effective as a complete strip down, but if it was 50% as effective I might go that route...

...So now another question, if I'm going to be soaking the UIM/LIM in xylene and other hazardous chemicals contained in products like Berryman's, what do I do with the remaining liquid afterwards? Can I do something like take it to an autozone afterwards? I just don't want that stuff poured out on the ground. (Go figure seeing as how I work for the government in environmental regulation.)
You are not soaking it in the chemicals. You are spraying them on the UIM/LIM and then using a wire brush to clean out the "crud". The amount is so "little" that the paper towels and cloth (that you put under) will soak it up.

I don't think Autozone or Advance will take left over chemicals. That you need to go to the local haz waste drop off center (most places have it located at the wastewater treatment plant).

Last edited:
Also, what do you think of commercial services such as those offered by Jiffy Lube that are designed to clean the intake manifolds, injectors, and so forth? I would guess that they aren't as effective as a complete strip down, but if it was 50% as effective I might go that route...
They do the same as the "vacuum method" from this site.

I was also thinking, since I don't have time lately that could I pull off some junkyard intakes and clean them, then just do a complete swap when they are done?

They do the same as the "vacuum method" from this site.

THe one time I had it done on my 95, they put a foaming agent thing directly into the fuel line by the valve stem near the injectors. They shut off the fuel pump and had that run threw. It did make a noticeable difference. But THE best way is taking off the manifolds. Don't be scared, it isn't hard.

It looks like a manifold cleaning is in my future. All of the various seals and o-rings etc. could get costly, but I'd bet that it's money well spent. Thanks to all for the advice!

I'm hoping that this also helps with pinging associated with 87 octane gas. When using 89 or higher it goes away, and i've always wondered what caused it. I'd be willing to bet that it's nasty in there after 115K miles.

It looks like a manifold cleaning is in my future. All of the various seals and o-rings etc. could get costly, but I'd bet that it's money well spent. Thanks to all for the advice!

I'm hoping that this also helps with pinging associated with 87 octane gas. When using 89 or higher it goes away, and i've always wondered what caused it. I'd be willing to bet that it's nasty in there after 115K miles.

I hope your not driving an SVT. If you are, then it would definately behoove (check spelling :shrug: ) you to anty-up and start running Premium.

Nope, I'm driving a standard 2000 duratec contour. I'm going to go to the dealership today and try to order all the parts. Here's to hoping I can find them!

WOW! i can only imagine what mine would look like at 252,000 miles if I never cleaned them. But now I have a replacement engine with 70,000, but it is starting to choke a bit upon accelerating and at speed until the secondaries kick in. I am going to try the vacuum trick at my next oil change. Can someone tell me what size tubing to get that will fit in the holes of the UIM?

Back