• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

work all week, work on the weekends

jd2-98s

Veteran CEG'er
Going to fix up my good friend's 2000 cavilier today. Cat and transmission pan gasket/filter.

For about 1 year now he had a check engine light on. I kept telling him to get the code pulled and he put it off. Then wondered why the car was eatting gas like crazy. Then he started having a transmission slip. Plus inspection is up. I let him take the 95' Blazer and have his car.

1st missfires up the butt p0300, p0420 and damaged the cat, from 1 year of raw fuel being dump into it.

2nd no transmission fluid on the dipstick... Pan gasket leaking fast.

Its up on jack stands... I tell you after using lifts all week, that last thing you want to do is get on the ground ;) That and the torch we use for cutting bolts. But I did nab someones heavy duty cutting wheel, should slice right threw the flang bolts.

Nice thing about my 30 dollar scanner that does CAN network also is it will tell you if the readiness monitors have been ran. O2, CAT, and Evap are not ready. Once the cat is in and the tank filled it should run them in about 10-20miles. I think he was quoted 900-1200 to fix the car so far we're at 300. He did make the mistake of going to the deal for plugs and wires.... I wanted to slap him upside the head.

ha, sounds kinda like last two weekends for me ... leave work two fridays ago to head to quinipeiac to work sound for there spring weekend concerts, they had some great groups and very diverse also ... that was friday and saturday.

last weekend again leave work friday morning and I go help ctmystique drop his motor into his car and then saturday mornign we wrap it up and started that car ... sunday I spend 10 hours with aircougar working on my car ...

today I have some other odds and ends to do on my car and I am helping csvt1214 swap a front knuckle and install exhaust on his car. then I sill help hotdimmes install the exhaust that was on csvt1214's car onto his ... sunday, not sure yet but I need a break :cool:

Yeah, sounds like my life, too!

Work all week, then fix 2-5 cars on the weekends, depending on who needs what...it never stops...

I pulled a motor from a friends Cougar in 3 hours today by myself, fixed an exhaust, P.S. belt, and sway bar end-link on a 02 Maxima, then swappped Wheels and headlights on my CSVT...

I pulled a motor from a friends Cougar in 3 hours today by myself, fixed an exhaust, P.S. belt, and sway bar end-link on a 02 Maxima, then swappped Wheels and headlights on my CSVT...
What was wrong with the exhaust if I may ask? I have odd symptom with mine right now..

ha, sounds kinda like last two weekends for me ... leave work two fridays ago to head to quinipeiac to work sound for there spring weekend concerts, they had some great groups and very diverse also ... that was friday and saturday.

last weekend again leave work friday morning and I go help ctmystique drop his motor into his car and then saturday mornign we wrap it up and started that car ... sunday I spend 10 hours with aircougar working on my car ...

today I have some other odds and ends to do on my car and I am helping csvt1214 swap a front knuckle and install exhaust on his car. then I sill help hotdimmes install the exhaust that was on csvt1214's car onto his ... sunday, not sure yet but I need a break :cool:

I've yet to have to pull or install a engine. Sounds like fun ;) I just got done doing rear brake tubing across the axle on a 94 ford van. Scored 40bucks in 1hour. I think thats it for the day, I'm going to relax... Well in my friends car, I have to drive it around now untill the 02 and cat read ready. That and a front right direction bulb.

Oh forgot about the cell sump pump, thats just water running threw my work area....

HPIM0618.jpg

HPIM0617.jpg

HPIM0619.jpg

Yeah, sounds like my life, too!

Work all week, then fix 2-5 cars on the weekends, depending on who needs what...it never stops...

And you still get (or still want) to work on your car :) I need some minor stuff on my but keep putting it off... After working all week on autos I don't want to touch mine ;)

What was wrong with the exhaust if I may ask? I have odd symptom with mine right now..

The section before the rear "axle" where the exhaust bolts up to the muffler tends to rust out at the flange, so I had welded it up last year, but it finally fell apart... He bought a new muffler, and I was able to bolt it in without a problem...

Apparently this is a pretty common problem with Maximas, as i have seen the same thing happen to 3 others that I work on occasionally.

And you still get (or still want) to work on your car :) I need some minor stuff on my but keep putting it off... After working all week on autos I don't want to touch mine ;)

I WANT to work on my cars, but hardly ever get a chance to... After this MTX--> ATX tranny swap , with air-ride install...I am going to be working strictly on my Cougar for at least 2 months, as I haven't even touched that car in over a year now!

The CSVT is my Daily driver, so it needs some maintenance every so often.... and I only get to change fluids on my wife's car when its needed, but I have to replace the clutch soon because it periodically slips when accelerating hard after a shift...

I honestly could work on vehicles all day, every day...I don't do it because I Have to anymore, its because I really want to... And I've been helping everyone else out all the time, so I barely get a chance to help myself!

Oh, and motor / tranny swaps really aren't that bad...after you do a few, it becomes really easy and faster each time.
Within the last year and a half, I've done 12 motor swaps, 4 tranny/clutch jobs, an ATX-->MTX swap, and a MTX-->ATX swap, among many other brake jobs, suspension work and exhaust repair......... I REALLY need a real garage!

Last edited:
Back